Is it foolish to upgrade CD player if using digital out?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Robert_Z, Jan 19, 2004.

1. Robert_Z

Robert_Z Screenwriter

I have a JVC 5 CD changer that has always worked perfectly, but since I am an upgrader, I feel like buying a new one. I only have one optical digital cable, which I use with my DVD player, so the JVC is hooked up to my Denon 3802 by regular RCA cables.

As an experiment, I hooked up the CD player using the digital out, but I noticed no difference in sound quality. I assumed the Denon DAC would be superior to that of the JVC CD player. Should I have heard a difference?

Since I noticed no improvement, I think it might be unwise to spend money on a CD player upgrade if it will sound the same to my ears. Oh, and the player I am considering upgrading to is a Denon DVM-3700 to be used only as a CD player.

2. John S

John S Producer

You heard no difference? I have never come across a change of DACs that I could not discern any difference at all...

What CD's are you using?? It is easier to hear difference with Classical and large jazz bands.

Might be tougher on grunge and pop, ect..., these days, much of this is way to compressed at the studio during mastering.

3. Robert_Z

Robert_Z Screenwriter

I was listening to "The Wall" and "When the Pawn" by Fiona Apple. My dilemma is whether to buy a new CD changer and use analog, or buy a $20 digital cable and keep the JVC... $20 sounds a lot better to my pocketbook, but so far, not to my ears.

4. John S

John S Producer

I am so surprised you couldnot hear any difference.

I mean it can be subjective as to which sounds better, but to have not heard any difference...

I am just not sure what to suggest. You really hear no difference? It will and should be subtle.

I can hear differences between nearly every DAC I have had hooked up to my 4802 / JBL s38 combo....

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I would expect to hear a difference with When the Pawn, it is fairly well recorded. I use Tidal to audition with, but Pawn is good too. I pay most attention to the highs and her vocals, and that is where the difference tends to be most noticable with this type of comparison. If you like Fiona, you might want to check out the new Tori Amos Tales of a Librarian, all the tracks have been remastered and sound amazing.

A $20 cable is not the price point where you will be hearing significant differences...

If you really want to upgrade, you are going to have to seek out a player specifically for it's DACs and performance, and that may be more than you are willing to spend. If the analog cable sounds better to you, then I don't see any reason why you shouldn't stick with that.

6. Jonathan Dagmar

Jonathan Dagmar Supporting Actor

when I original tested the difference between analog and digital connection for CDs, I concluded that there was a rather major differnece, the digital connection sounded much more open and clear compared to the analog. However I was at the time testing with very cheap RCA cables.

I recently tested again using higher quality RCA cables, and this time I could detect no obvious differecnes between the analog and digital connections.