Is it dangerous for pets to sit on top of RPTV?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul W, May 14, 2001.

1. Paul W

Paul W Second Unit

When my Toshiba was being serviced, the tech pointed out the large steel plate in from of the CRTs and said it was shielding for any stray X-rays that were generated by the CRTs.
    Since the top of the RPTV set is not shield (nor the back or sides), I was curious if there is a risk of exposured to animals that like to set on top of the set.
    ------------------
    [​IMG] Paul Warren
    Hey fella . . . I bet you're still livin' in your parent's cellar . . . downloading pictures of Sarah Michelle Gellar . . . and posting "Me too!" like some brain-dead AOL-er . . . I should do the world a favor and cap ya' like Old Yeller . . . you're just about as useless as MPEGs [sic] to Hellen Keller.

2. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Hmmm.... why would a CRT emit x-rays? Never heard of that before. I'm sure your pet is fine.
    /Micke

3. Damien Montanile

Damien Montanile Stunt Coordinator

Well,
    If your pet Grows a third tail....or starts running into walls at full speed. Id worry...
    [​IMG]
    -D

4. RyanDinan

RyanDinan Stunt Coordinator

X-Rays are produced whenever high-speed electrons strike an object....This is how CRT's work.....hence, cathode ray tube. Since cathode ray's are a type of x-ray, I could see how some could stray a bit. Why do you think computer monitors are so heavy? They have a lead casing to block the rays. They aren't too dangerous though - Not unless you sit 1" in front of a CRT for days and days [​IMG]
    -Ryan Dinan
    ------------------
    [​IMG]