What's new

Is it crazy to deflect a rear center channel off the ceiling? (1 Viewer)

GregBe

Second Unit
Let me know if you think this is a crazy idea? I am setting up my rear center speaker which is direct radiating. (My surrounds are bipole.) Unfortunately, even though my couch is a few feet from the back wall, there are several things prohibiting me from ideally placing the rear center speaker. I have two real choices at the moment and neither of them is ideal. One is on top of an amoirre (about 2 feet from the ceiling) facing out. Unfortunately the speaker would essentially be shooting over our heads. The other choice I was thinking of was to put the speaker on top of the amoirre and pointing it up to the ceiling to have the sound diffusely deflect off the ceiling into the listening areas. Which method do you think would be better, or if these are the only two choices, should I just stick with 5.1

Thanks
Greg

Jay McC

Agent
So, is the couch up against the armoirre or is it sitting in the open and the armoirre is some distance behind the couch. And if so how much space is between the two.

But going off of what you've posted, i would angle the speaker down, aiming into the appropriate spot in listening area. Then begin tweeking the delay and level until it blends.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
None of the rear speakers are really supposed to be pointed directly at the listener.

The only way to know which of the two mentioned will work better is to try them both out. Give each setup a few days trial and see which you prefer.

GregBe

Second Unit
The couch is directly up against the armoirre. I guess I was thinking that since my surrounds were bipole, it might be an advantage to have that diffuse sound out of my rear center and bounce it off the ceiling. If I had the option of putting it on the back wall, it would be ideal, because the couch is a few feet in front of the wall, but with the armoirre, fireplace and door openings into the kitchen, on top of the armoirre is the only option.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharel
Recent bookmarks