Is it crazy to deflect a rear center channel off the ceiling?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by GregBe, Oct 30, 2003.

1. GregBe

GregBe Second Unit

Let me know if you think this is a crazy idea? I am setting up my rear center speaker which is direct radiating. (My surrounds are bipole.) Unfortunately, even though my couch is a few feet from the back wall, there are several things prohibiting me from ideally placing the rear center speaker. I have two real choices at the moment and neither of them is ideal. One is on top of an amoirre (about 2 feet from the ceiling) facing out. Unfortunately the speaker would essentially be shooting over our heads. The other choice I was thinking of was to put the speaker on top of the amoirre and pointing it up to the ceiling to have the sound diffusely deflect off the ceiling into the listening areas. Which method do you think would be better, or if these are the only two choices, should I just stick with 5.1

Thanks
    Greg

2. Jay McC

Jay McC Agent

So, is the couch up against the armoirre or is it sitting in the open and the armoirre is some distance behind the couch. And if so how much space is between the two.

But going off of what you've posted, i would angle the speaker down, aiming into the appropriate spot in listening area. Then begin tweeking the delay and level until it blends.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    None of the rear speakers are really supposed to be pointed directly at the listener.

The only way to know which of the two mentioned will work better is to try them both out. Give each setup a few days trial and see which you prefer.

4. GregBe

GregBe Second Unit

The couch is directly up against the armoirre. I guess I was thinking that since my surrounds were bipole, it might be an advantage to have that diffuse sound out of my rear center and bounce it off the ceiling. If I had the option of putting it on the back wall, it would be ideal, because the couch is a few feet in front of the wall, but with the armoirre, fireplace and door openings into the kitchen, on top of the armoirre is the only option.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    My vote is to try it facing out into the room first.

6. GregBe

GregBe Second Unit

Thanks John. I will try both this weekend.