Is it better to run everything through my receiver?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Jesse Sharrow, Dec 17, 2003.

1. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

I have a yamaha rxv440 and it has component switching and composite switching. Im hoping to buy an older samsung 27" tv that has 1 component input and a couple composites and an s-video in. Its not a great tv but its a hell of alot better than the one I have now. But Im hoping to get a good deal on it.

But on to my point am I gonna notice a picture diff running everything into the tv as compared to everything through the reciever? I dont think it can handle progressive scan.

2. Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton Ambassador

Jason Charlton
    Purists will point out that any time you pass a signal through a device it is subject to interfernece, noise, and degradation. Personally, I think you'll be fine with using your reciever for video switching. For many years, I've used my reciever to switch video and never had any problems. I love the convenience of only having to switch inputs on one device.

A few things to keep in mind:
    Not all receivers will up-convert composite and S-Video to component. So if you have a mix of sources that use different connections, you still may need to use multiple inputs on the TV as well.

Some receivers that have on-screen menus for setup and configuration do not display these menus on the component output - you still have to use composite or S-Video for setup.

-Jason

3. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

I use my receiver for video switching and I'm pleased wih it.

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I believe the rxv440 converts composite to s-video but now to component (could be wrong) however, you would not see any loss on your tv that you could discern by looking at it. The advantage of going via your receiver becomes clear once you have the need of more video inputs than your tv can handle.

5. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

I see no difference running my video through the receiver. The HD channels looks as great as before and I don't notice a difference on DVDs.

It just makes things a lot easier to manage when running everything through the receiver.

6. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

If you run everything through the receiver, can you watch something on the television while listening to something else? For example, watching the game while listening to music from a CD input? I'm wondering since the audio and video switching would switch both wouldn't it; forcing you to listen to the game?

7. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Well, come to think of it if you can assign the audio. Lets say video 1 has analog input, coax input and optical input, then you can select video 1 and see the game, and instead of selecting the analog audio from the cable or satellite box, you select the coax or optical where you have the CD player connected, and if you can select one of the three audio inputs you want then yes.

8. Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton Ambassador

Jason Charlton
    On my (rather old) Onkyo receiver, switching to an audio-only input (like CD) will not cause the video to switch. In fact, I often find it much more enjoyable to watch a football game or NASCAR race while listening to my favorite CDs (who needs the play-by-play when you're watching it anyway). It can be quite enlightening to watch the Daytona 500 while listening to the 1812 Overture cranked to an insane level, too. [​IMG]

-Jason