Is it better to buy a top of the line, cheaper DVD player....

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Scott McAllister, Dec 11, 2003.

1. Scott McAllister

Scott McAllister Stunt Coordinator

.... or a low end midgrade one?

I've been looking at the JVC XV-N55SL as a christmas gift for myself this year, but I'm wondering if it's better to buy it new or perhaps get a slightly used Denon DVD-910. The Denon would be more, but I'm not that conerned about the price.

As a second question, are there any suggestions for an excellent all-around player for about 300 bucks? Ebay can be included as a "reseller" for this question.

Thanks!

2. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

This is confusing. You are asking for the difference btween buying a "top of the line cheaper" DVD player and a "lower end midgrade". No offense, but those classifications are all over the place, not to mention contradictory.

3. Scott McAllister

Scott McAllister Stunt Coordinator

I probably wasn't clear enough on the first post.

I always saw DVD players in one of three categories.

JVC, SONY,PIONEER, etc = entry level.

Denon, Onkyo, Pioneer Elite, etc = mid level

Krell, Integra, McIntosh = high end

My question revolves around the difference between players at the top of the "entry level" category vs. players at the bottom of the "mid level" category.

Specifically, I'm curious about the quality of things like de-interlacers, audio and video DAC's, DVD-A & SACD output.

I think my second question was pretty clear.....

Thanks!

4. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

I'd say the threshold is when you get to the Faroudja de-interlacer based players and the Denon DVD-910 is one of the cheapest with Faroudja. So yes, it would be worth it to exceed that threshold since below that all the players are equally the same/lousy. I personally got a used Panasonic XP30 on EBAY for around $200, so that was cheaper than going for a newer Denon and I got a top-rated Faroudja-based player. You can also check out the new Mitsubishi DD-8040 Faroujda-based player, its around $250 at Tweeter stores and is essentially the same design as the more expensive Denon DVD-1200.