What's new

Is it bad to use blu-tac for center speaker on top of TV? (1 Viewer)

Larry Talbot

Second Unit
I now have my center speaker on top of my TV, hanging over about an inch to keep it from reflecting off the screen. To keep it from falling OFF my TV, I have it stuck on with blu-tac, something a lot of posters here seem to like. BUT I also read posts from people who talk about using mousepads or vibrapods to decouple their center speakers from the TV, to keep it from resonating...These seem like contradictory ideas to me. Doesn't blu-tac essentially couple the speaker to the TV? Which would mean I shouldn't be using blu-tac? Any opinions?

Brian OK

Supporting Actor
Larry,

I think blue-tac is perfect for your application. Coupled, yes, but you also get some firm adhesion.

If you used blue-tac under your CDP, then eyes would roll.
I use tac under my sub (on a 3" thick custom cut solid granite slab) and it works like a charm.

Under speakers, I think tac is appropriate.

BOK

David Sailor

Agent
I also use blu-tac to hold the center speaker in place on the TV. The tac has enough resiliancy I think to keep from transferring vibrations. I also use it for my small surrounds which are on stands. I just changed stands after a couple of years and there was not even any residue, in fact, I just rolled up the old tac and applied it again. David

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
I use it for my fiancee's small center channel and I think it actually help dialogue intelligibilty.

Brian OK

Supporting Actor
David,

I was interrupted during my intial post and neglected to add that I use tack under ALL my Paradigm Studio 40'S, CC Center, and ADP Dipoles, as all are on stands.

You nailed it... speakers on stands need tac, and nothing else can really act as a substitute. Good stands (sand filled for me) need that inert coupler like tac to "tighten" things up.

My CC Center speaker is on a stand out in front of my RPTV .... but if I HAD to place it on the RPTV, then I would absolutely use tac.

BOK

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
I use blue-tac on my CC-170, Titans and Atoms. It secures them to TV/stands well but comes off with ease and leaves no residue. Accept no alternatives!

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Du-dere-doo-da-dum // I think I pretty much get the idea what Blu-tac is but I could be way off. Just what is Blu-tac and where can it be purchased?

Brian OK

Supporting Actor
Blue-Tac is a British made coupling/adhesive product; and, as a trade name, that is, has, over time, become the specified name for a coupling adhesive.

Said to minimize extraneous vibrations between two coupled components, it has simply become the "kleenex" for said applications.

All bs aside and way too much lead-in.................. go to Office Max,or Depot/Staples too, and buy the $1.49 Manco "Mounting Putty"(Mastic de Fixation), or the Elmers Reusable Adhesive "Tac'N Stic".

All are non-Toxic and work just fine... or you could buy Blue-Tac from England and pay $15 bucks for a two pack.

BOK

PS----- , ....or as Frank has linked, buy the UHU ....
BUT, ;*) ...note that the Elmers Tac'N Stic is actually colored blue (that is an aware Elmer's Marketing Department- if one cares at all).

PPS----, In fairness to Blue-Tac, I must add that all the mods I have done to my CDP and DVD player, have been done exclusively with Blue-Tac. The Crystal and Transistors, the disc drawers, etc, were done with Blue-Tac only.
It does have a different composition than the $1.49 stuff (less sticky tac and more inert) , but that is all IMHO. YMMV.
Speaker tac... for sure use the $1.49 variety.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Well I guess I was on the wrong track. It's a type of putty basically and not some sort of sheet of soft ply. "Interesting"... Thanks for the info and reply.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Any hardware store carries it. It's not always blue, and most often used to tak up little pieces of paper, or pretty much anything. One little thing will MORE than supply enough tak for your entire life. You're really need a LOT of speakers to use up one little 2 dollar pak of tak.

:D

Larry Talbot

Second Unit
Wow. I never thought this thread would draw so many responses. I'll never doubt blue-tac again (I have been using it all along, and it is very handy in terms of both use and re-use - I just wasn't sure about the decoupling issue.) Thanks to all who replied!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks