Is it bad to put subwoofers right next to your TV?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BrianFS, Apr 14, 2002.

1. BrianFS

BrianFS Auditioning

Because that's exactly what I'm doing. I was wondering if it's bad for the sub and/or TV. My subwoofer is not magnetically shielded but I've experience no sound distortion from the sub nor picture distortion from the TV.
    Here's my setup.

2. GaryAR

GaryAR Agent

i would definately not reccommend that setup.

first of all, the sub is definately too close to the tv. even if you don't see distortion on the screen, it can't be a good idea.

second, your sub should not be sitting on a dresser, it should be on the floor.

third, your fronts are not located symmetrically. i'd suggest that you put the right speaker on a stand, at the same height as the left and the same distance from the center of the tv.

-gary

3. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Right, as Gary mentioned...the performance from a subwoofer is largely dependent on optimizing its position in the room. Corners tend to work well for subs...preferably a corner near the key seating positions. Also, be sure to calibrate the entire system using a SPL meter($35 from radio shack).

TV

4. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

Yeah, at least put that thing on the floor! You will notice it will sound a lot better too! Also putting it on the floor will give you more freedom in placing your main speakers optimally.

5. Mark Larson

Mark Larson Supporting Actor

Eish!! [​IMG]
    You definitely need to do a lot of changes... Start with these...
    1. Put the sub on the floor, but quite close to your seat position. It looks like a weak sub, so it would work.
    2. Pull out the L-R speakers a bit forward.
    3. Put the center at the same level as the two speakers you just "pulled out".
    My goodness, that's a really bad setup! You'll be glad you asked us!
    Do you have 5.1?

6. Mark Larson

Mark Larson Supporting Actor