Is it bad to leave receiver on all day?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Vlad D, Mar 15, 2002.

1. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt
    I leave my 2802 tuned to the radio and playing for about 8 hours straight everyday for my dog (Frodo). Will this in anyway ruin my receiver? Is 8 continuous hours too long?
    Maybe I'm crazy, but I think he won't be as lonely during the day with music on. [​IMG]

2. Sankar

Sankar Second Unit

I doubt very much that this will have any impact -- unless your 2802 is not protected from that freak lightning strike when you are away (can you train Dino to unplug the unit in a lightning storm?).
    Once warmed up the receiver is in steady state and keeping it on probably does less damage than cycling it on and off (thereby heating and cooling the components and contact points).
    .. of course there is always the slim chance that the life of the unit will be reduced from 300 years to 250 .... and your descendants will miss out on those last 50 years ... [​IMG]

3. StevenK

StevenK Second Unit

Not related at all....

But I got a dog named Frodo too (and yes...he's much older than the movie)! But I only leave my receiver on for about 4 hours a day.

4. Brian Kleinke

Brian Kleinke Supporting Actor

re: Pets... our cats aren't named after LOtR... but my computers are named Aragorn, Arwen, Fini, Fili and Smeagol [​IMG] (also from long before the movie... which is kewl!)
    re: leaving things on. I have a Sony ES Pre/Pro and I've heard from many people it is better to leave it running all the time.
    Brian

5. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

How loud is it playing and is it particularly hot when you get home?

You should buy Frodo an inexpensive clock radio! Or is he a real picky, audiophile sorta pup?

6. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt
    I never thought of using a plain old radio. DOH!!
    At least it's good to know that I'm not causing any damage to the receiver. By now I assume Frodo probably is an audiophile and may hate the clock radio. [​IMG]
    I've only had Frodo for 3 weeks (got him at 8 weeks), so although it was after the movie, I have been a Tolkien fan for over 20 years. I actually wanted to name him Gandalf, but my wife said no way. I thought it would be kinda funny having a cocker spaniel named Gandalf. [​IMG] But now I think Frodo fits him better.
    Vlad

7. Marty Neudel

Marty Neudel Stunt Coordinator

Vlad,

if you intend to keep your amps for 5 years or more, you ought to consider the fact that constant running does cause wear to the power transformers used in almost all amps and receivers. They will start to hum, and that hum will grow louder with time.

Marty