Is it a really cool thing to speak w/ an English accent?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin Alexander, Dec 14, 2001.

1. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

I've been meaning to ask this question for a long time. Are people w/ an English accent more educated than everyone else? Are they more affluent and powerful? Do they have better taste? Are they more sophisticated, and exert more influence? Are they the uppercrust of society? The reason I ask these questions is that every tv or radio commercial (Lexus and Jaguar for example) that sells advertises an expensive item has as its pitch man/woman someone w/ an English accent. Why even in the Charlton Heston movie of the Ten Commandments, God himself speaks w/ an English accent out of the windstorm of fire - [english accent]Thou shalt not steal....[/english accent]. So even God speaks 18th century Elizabethan English before it even becomes a dialect of the spoken tongue.[​IMG] What's up w/ that? If an English accent is cool here in the states, a slack jawed yokell like myself doesn't have a chance.

2. Richard Cooper

Richard Cooper Stunt Coordinator

Nope, we're as thick as the rest of the world. We just speak English 'as intended' [​IMG] - although I'm guilty of torturing pronunciation to the point of almost speaking Swahili at times, but that's usually to do with alcohol [​IMG]

3. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen

4. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Speaking Swedish with an English accent doesn't sound cool at all, rather dorky, actually.

/Mike

5. Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison Screenwriter

Randy
    Depends on which English accent you are using. The stiff British accent??? Cockney????? The unintelligible gutteral English accent???

My friend married an English girl, and I just love the way she talks. It's funny, because if I spend any time around here, I suddenly catch myself sounding English.

American and England -- Two countries seperated by a common language

BTW, we had a conversation recently about phrases that mean something different here and there. For example, don't call it a "Fanny Pack" in England. Apparently, it's a "Bum Bag". The "Fanny" is the name for the female vagina.

And my friends wife was quite embarrassed in college when she asked the guys around her if she could borrow a "Rubber". She didn't get the eraser she was counting on!

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Well, I have a few friends here in L.A. who also happen to be Brits. Let me tell you something: When they go into a bar here in LaLa Land, the women fall all over them. Ask the women why they swoon over our friends from across the pond, and they will, to a person, tell you it's the accent.

Aussies score big with L.A. women, too.

Are they uppercrust? Again, depends on which Brits you're talking about. The London contingent tended, in the past, to look down upon the accents hailing from the "provinces." But Liverpudlian accents certainly presented no obstacles to the members of that four-piece band for which the city is so famous.

Me? I love a well-dictioned British accent. Case in point: Patrick Stewart. Now, that man is a credit to the English language.

7. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

There's no such thing as a single British accent any more than there's a single American accent. Commercials use a certain type of English accent to convey an aura of sophistication because, in their heart of hearts, Americans have always been closet Anglophiles.

M.

8. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

First, you should ask: Is it uncool to speak with an American accent. Second, the reason why it may sound cool is because we are typically surrounded by people who speak like us. Third, no, people with English accents are not more educated than the rest of us (it's all based on each individual person, regardless of nationality). Finally, ask yourself this question: Are you attracted more to someone that has an accent than someone who doesn't?

9. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

10. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona

11. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

Say, Steve Christou, you are from London. Is it true that your accent leaves women swooning? [​IMG]

12. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Yes, as a matter of fact, they do. An oft-repeated story about World War II is that when American GIs were stationed at various bases in the Isles, the Brits were pissed because all the women were bedding the Americans. To which our allies quipped: "The Americans are overpaid, oversexed, and over here!"

I love that story.

People are attracted to what's different, is all. Yanks are liked by Brits and vice versa. We've come a long way since that little skirmish in 1812.

13. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

14. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis

15. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

16. Luis Esp

Luis Esp Supporting Actor

I've been accused in the past of speaking in an "English" tongue. But as a kid, and even to this day I have a tendency to mumble my words, so when I am speaking, I have this annoying voice in my head screaming "SPEAK CLEARLY".

I also watch other people's facial reactions to see if I am being understood.

A few times I've been asked why I speak the way I do. For a long time I couldn't come up with an answer, but someone just recently gave me the perfect comeback. "Some choose to talk the english language, I choose to speak it."

As 'enry 'iggins said "Why can't the English learn to speak?"

17. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

I think that an English accent is a great turn-on for a girl. Anything that makes you stand out is a plus. E.g., an American accent in England would be just as unique but probably would not be perceived quite as well.

18. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    Correct Jeff, my super sexy North London accent does make women swoon, I can't explain it I can knock out a whole roomful of babes with a simple "Hi there", its reviving them thats the bitch.
    I once heard a recording of my voice and I quickly fainted, its a lethal weapon I tell you, in the wrong hands....
    No I love my accent, hey its cool to have an 'English' accent! [​IMG]

19. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

20. Richard Cooper

Richard Cooper Stunt Coordinator