Is it a lesser experience viewing DVDs after watching HD?

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Darren Gross, May 15, 2004.

1. Darren Gross

Darren Gross Supporting Actor

I'm converting to HD on Tuesday, and was wondering if the quality jump is so remarkable, it will make watching DVDs less of a pristine, more distracting viewing experience?

Has it lessened your DVD expenditures, knowing there's something better on the horizon?

2. KevinJ

KevinJ Supporting Actor

HD makes watching movies a more cinematic experience imho and dvd's are a bit less so

3. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

It really depends on your equipment.

With my Infocus X1 FPTV, HD has to be scaled down, while 16:9 anamorphic DVD is displayed with no scaling. This makes them look "about the same" on my equipment, with perhaps a very slight edge for HD.

The bottom line is that a properly mastered 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen DVD still blows me away with my setup; so I'm still very happy with the SD-DVD format.

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

I can offer that I've been watching far much more HDTV than DVDs over the past TV season. I watched at least 10 hours of HDTV programming each week:

Las Vegas
    CSI: Miami
    Smallville
    Angel
    CSI
    ER
    Joan of Arcadia
    Cold Case/American Dreams
    Alias
    The Practice

and then maybe Everwood and One Tree Hill on the Easy View on Sundays).

I'm grateful for the summer, so I can catch up on my DVD viewing...

5. Adam_ME

Adam_ME Supporting Actor

If it weren't for HBO's annoying policy of cropping 2.35:1 films to fill the 16:9 screen, it probably would bother me a lot more. I've noticed that even DVDs with great transfers like Episode II and Swordfish pale in comparison to their HD counterparts. But the cropped picture and inferior audio make it a little easier to swallow. The only DVD I have a really hard time rewatching now that I've seen the movie in HD is Spider-Man.

6. Van Patton

Van Patton Second Unit

After watching HD on our 65" Hitachi set, I find DVDs hard to watch---lol. Really. I watched every ESPN NFL and NCAA football game this season so I have become VERY spoiled.

7. Eric_Connelly

Eric_Connelly Second Unit

Not at all. In sometimes I prefer to watch the DVD.

My HD931 does a great job upscaling and I get generally equal or superior quality with a few rare exceptions. Some movies on Voom's pay channels are stunning...I forget which ones, I think TMC HD? Tears of the Sun looks amazing, but most of the HBO HD and Showtime HD's don't look all that much better.

Spiderman does, but as someone mentioned the action sequences pixelate too much.

I'm comparing apples to apples though, not comparing TV shows shot on HD equipment to movies which were transfered into HD via another method. That leaves too much upto the person doing the scaling and it varies greatly from HD channel to HD channel.

8. phil-w

phil-w Stunt Coordinator

It really does depend, but I find that I try to schedule my viewing from the worst picture quality to the best, when I am viewing things in the same day.

For example, I always try to watch Enterprise on UPN before I watch anything else. Not only is it not HD in my area, but it is hideous SD quality. Then I follow that by watching what ever DVD movie I have to watch, and finish up by watching HD, like CSI or something.

It is sort of like saving the frosting until the end, when you are eating cake [​IMG]

9. Eric_Connelly

Eric_Connelly Second Unit

Well here is my current list:

7:06pm EST

HBO HD - Sunshine State - DVD Better by a long shot
    HBO HDW - The Client - Mildy better than DVD
    MAX HD - The Saint - DVD Better by a small margin
    MAX HDW - While you were Sleeping - DVD Better, very soft PQ
    Showtime HD - Serving Sara - Better than DVD
    Showtime HDW - The Imposter - Equal to DVD
    TMC HD - Swimming With Sharks - Tiny bit worse than DVD
    StarzHD - Willard - Equal to DVD

Now watching RAVE SoundStage it blows DVD away, so did the music stuff earlier today on BravoHD, but that is broadcast in 1080i and is stunning to watch.

Local UPN for comparison playing Enterprise - Show is jacked up, its in SD 16:9, but from what I can remember its bette than DVD.

CBS is generally better than DVD also, ABC is too grainy. Fox's true HD is better than DVD also.

Again, this is on a HD931 DVD Player scaled to 1080i on a GW 60" LCD.

Now I forgot what I was watching [​IMG]

10. Dick White

Dick White Stunt Coordinator

I am almost over my "I'll watch anything if it's HD" phase, and I'm back to watching mostly movies. But a good HD broadcast still blows me away so I'm not watching quite as many movies as I used to.

The only movie channel I have in HD is HDNET Movies, and I'm finding myself watching a lot of their movies that I don't have on DVD for various reasons. They broadcast 1080i and OAR, but the movies are generally not recent or first rate stuff. Also, the quality doesn't seem that much different from a good anamorphic DVD. One other problem with them is that I have to watch on their schedule, can't go back to see something I missed (really bad since I tend to doze while watching movies), and I can't turn on subtitles when the dialog is hard to follow. I'm looking forward to the day when I have a DVR to solve most of those problems.