What's new

Is it a complete no-no to do this?? (1 Viewer)

Brian Fineberg

Second Unit
I am getting RF-3's(klpsch) and the size of my current room makes it so I need to have one positioned in front of the plane of my tv. what i mean is if you draw a line from left fron t through the screen of the v the right front will be out in front(a.k.a. closer to the listening position) Is this completely bad or can I get away with it for the meantime until I can figure where to put my reciver. Thaks a bunch.
-B

J

John Morris

No, in fact, IMO, most speakers sound better when they are placed in front of the TV, not equal to, or behind the front plane of it. I'd recommend that you move your other front speaker out to approx the same relative position on the other side of your monitor. Additionally, you may find that placing your center channel on the floor in front of the TV on a stand which slants the speaker upward toward your head, will also sound better than placing that speaker on top fo the TV... YRMV.
------------------
Take Care,
merc
----------------
Link Removed
God Bless America!!!
[Edited last by John Morris on September 28, 2001 at 10:19 PM]

Patrick Wilmes

Stunt Coordinator
Mt tv is recessed in an in-wall entertainment center so I had to put my mains to the side out in front of the tv plane.I really like the results and would recommend anyone to do the same whether they had to or not.

Brian Fineberg

Second Unit
What if it is more than 6" is that ok?? just curious. I mean it might be more like a foot or more. but it would be ok to do it if I pull the other one out oo?? thanks...
-B

Alex F.

Second Unit
That's even better. In general, the farther away from the TV the better, as the extra distance reduces various sound "reflections" caused by the TV or other objects. This clearance improves the speakers' imaging. Having the TV one foot or so behind the speakers is often considered optimal. (In my theater room, the projection TV is about 14 inches behind the main front speakers.)
Using a music CD (with the center speaker turned off via the receiver's menu), also experiment with toeing in the speakers a bit to find the ideal angle. Whether toed-in, pointing straight ahead, or even tilted back a bit, the optimal angle and position (i.e., the latter being the distance between the speakers) will provide a center-focused "floating" image of a solo singer (assuming it's that way on the CD!) and still provide a nicely spread out orchestra, band, etc., without any audible holes in the middle.
Finally, the center-channel speaker should not be on the same plane as the mains. The three units should ideally form an arc, which is what results when the center speaker appears to be farther away than the mains. You may also be able to adjust and experiment with the "distance" electronically via your receiver's menu (under speaker settings). The center unit should audibly blend with the mains and not call undue attention to itself. Setting the correct output level is important as well, of course.
Happy listening!
[Edited last by Alex F. on September 29, 2001 at 12:55 PM]

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Brian, like others have told you, they should both be in front of the TV.
--
Holadem

Robert McClanahan

Stunt Coordinator
I would say that placing the center channel in front of your T.V. might sound different but not necessarily better.The speaker manufacturers design center channel speakers to sound best on top of a T.V.I would say it looks better to have the center off the T.V. and on the floor.The center can sometimes draw too much attention (visually)on top.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks