Is it a big deal if HDTV doesn't have native 480i/p?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JoeRiley, Jan 25, 2003.

1. JoeRiley

JoeRiley Stunt Coordinator

I've noticed only some HDTV's have 480i (or is it "p"?) listed in thier native display type. Is this a problem if the tv still has 1080i? From what I've gathered here, 1080i is HDTV, while 480p is more of a DVD source. Is that correct?

Sorry for all the questions lately... :b

-Joe

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

All televisions do 480i (interlaced). And nearly all HD-capable televisions convert 480i into 480p (progressive). A number of HD-capable sets "upconvert" a 480i signal into 540p (Toshiba's, for example).

To view current DVD at its best, you want 480p. The only better home-video source, in terms of resolution, is D-VHS D-Theater, a high-def tape format that can do both 720p and 1080i.

3. Jesse Leonard

Jesse Leonard Second Unit

It most is likely just sloppy advertising. Right now the buzz and hype is around 1080i or HDTV, so all of the advertising lists those specs. If the TV will do 1080i then it will do 480p (I am sure there are a few exceptions). If you have a specific model you are looking at, just post the model number and we can provide you with more info.

4. JoeRiley

JoeRiley Stunt Coordinator

I was actually thinking of either:

JVC-AV48WP30

Panasonic- 53WX42

Panasonic-47WX42

The only difference I can see (other then screen size) is that the JVC has the DVI-Input, and the Pany's back inputs don't look too sturdy.

Here's a link to a comparison between the three: http://www.bestbuy.com/compare.asp?t...19&txtCount=43

Any help would be great!