Is Insomnia worth the purchase?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BrentJ, Aug 19, 2002.

1. BrentJ

BrentJ Second Unit

I enjoyed Chris Nolans Memento. I haven't seen the following although I hear it is also a good film. How does Insomnia stack up to his first 2 titles? I'm trying to figure out if I should just rent this one or add it and the following to my collection. thanks

2. Chris Moe

Chris Moe Screenwriter

I personally feel you should rent it first. Although the movie was ok, I personally will not be buying it. It just wasn't all that impressive, nor did it have much to make me want to take a second look. Or course this is just my opinion, YMMV.

3. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Also, if anyone can chime in with how it compares to the original starring Stellan Skarsgaard, that would be appreciated!

4. jacob w k

jacob w k Stunt Coordinator

I didn't see it when it was out but I am fairly interested and would get it if the price was right.

5. Chris Perkins

Chris Perkins Stunt Coordinator

Rent it. One viewing is all this film is good for.
    Chris

6. Mike Graham

Mike Graham Supporting Actor

I'm sorry, but I haven't seen the original film and can't follow through with any comparisons. However, I thoroughly enjoyed Memento and thought Insomnia was fantastic.
    At the same time, Memento is definitely the better picture overall. Your best bet is to rent it first (its definitely not a sight unseen purchase), as some may find its slow build up and character-study tendencies over the standard thriller formula boring (and yes the ending could've been handled better).
    The disc sounds like it will have quite a bit to offer, and script problems aside, the acting, cinematography and score are fabulous. Count me in for a purchase on 10/15.
    I certainly don't blame you for asking - the last time I made a blind purchase was with The Stunt Man and I was thoroughly disappointed. Buyer beware, renters go ahead. [​IMG]

7. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

I haven't seen the remake but the original (avail. from Criterion) is excellent!

8. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

The original is great - saw it on Bravo last year. Keep in mind that is subtitled, if you're not into foreign language films.

9. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I liked Insomnia. It's definitely worth a rental. As far as buying it, that's a tough call. I might. I guess I could always get it for less than ten bucks through a Columbia House deal.

10. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

This will be a definite buy sight unseen. I absolutely enjoyed Memento and from what I've heard about Insomnia, I think it will be a safe purchase for me.

11. BertFalasco

BertFalasco Supporting Actor

I didn't know Chris Nolan did this until I read a few posts down. I saw this shiZite and somewhat enjoyed it. "IMHO" this movie has no replay value. Just good for a rental with the weeemenz [​IMG].
    -Bert
    My mom didn't believe me I was in the theater, so I used my friend's cell and called my mom and I had everyone (packed) theater say hi loudly (which they nicely cooperated) and then some old man was like "Want a beer?" and I was like, "no I'll kick you in the prostate old man."
    Good times..

12. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

13. Daniel Kikin

Daniel Kikin Screenwriter

Same here, rent it before buying it. I thought it was okay but nothing spectacular. Then again, I didn't like Memento too much either. To each their own...

14. RobertCharlotte

RobertCharlotte Supporting Actor

I saw the new version in the theater and the original on DVD (thanks, Criterion!).
    IMHO, the original is a compelling film, but it feels a little amateurish, like a first effort from the director. Showing promise but lacking polish. You know all the cliches.
    The remake is, if anything, too polished. Too neat, too tidy. But by far the better film, even if for that.
    My biggest disappointment in the original was that it did such a poor job of making the viewer feel the effects of the main character's sleep-deprivation. I won't spoil anything about the remake for you, but there is one scene in particular that really conveys just how out of it he is.
    My biggest disappointment in the remake is that they didn't get the rights to name Al Pacino's character Vincent Hanna and call the whole thing a sequel. The character was almost exactly the same character Pacino played in Heat, so why not use that to an advantage. [​IMG]

15. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

16. TimDoss

TimDoss Second Unit

By the end of Insomnia(the remake, haven't seen the original),
    I couldn't care less what happened to the characters.
    I wasn't impressed with it at all, and definitely won't
    be buying it.
    And though one has nothing at all to do with the
    other, I absolutely loved Memento.

17. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

It works nicely on the big screen with the lighting. Don't think it'll work as nice at home unless you have a projector or something.

18. Chris M

Chris M Second Unit

I saw it in theaters, and I agree that it's a 1 shot thing, definately not worth a 2nd viewing, but I'd still say it IS worth a 1st viewing. So rent it [​IMG]
    Chris.

19. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

The remake is worth renting. The original is worth purchasing.

20. David Brashear

David Brashear Stunt Coordinator