What's new

Is Insomnia worth the purchase? (1 Viewer)

BrentJ

Second Unit
I enjoyed Chris Nolans Memento. I haven't seen the following although I hear it is also a good film. How does Insomnia stack up to his first 2 titles? I'm trying to figure out if I should just rent this one or add it and the following to my collection. thanks

Chris Moe

Screenwriter
I personally feel you should rent it first. Although the movie was ok, I personally will not be buying it. It just wasn't all that impressive, nor did it have much to make me want to take a second look. Or course this is just my opinion, YMMV.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Also, if anyone can chime in with how it compares to the original starring Stellan Skarsgaard, that would be appreciated!

jacob w k

Stunt Coordinator
I didn't see it when it was out but I am fairly interested and would get it if the price was right.

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
I'm sorry, but I haven't seen the original film and can't follow through with any comparisons. However, I thoroughly enjoyed Memento and thought Insomnia was fantastic.
At the same time, Memento is definitely the better picture overall. Your best bet is to rent it first (its definitely not a sight unseen purchase), as some may find its slow build up and character-study tendencies over the standard thriller formula boring (and yes the ending could've been handled better).
The disc sounds like it will have quite a bit to offer, and script problems aside, the acting, cinematography and score are fabulous. Count me in for a purchase on 10/15.
I certainly don't blame you for asking - the last time I made a blind purchase was with The Stunt Man and I was thoroughly disappointed. Buyer beware, renters go ahead. ;)

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
The original is great - saw it on Bravo last year. Keep in mind that is subtitled, if you're not into foreign language films.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I liked Insomnia. It's definitely worth a rental. As far as buying it, that's a tough call. I might. I guess I could always get it for less than ten bucks through a Columbia House deal.

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
I didn't know Chris Nolan did this until I read a few posts down. I saw this shiZite and somewhat enjoyed it. "IMHO" this movie has no replay value. Just good for a rental with the weeemenz :).
-Bert
My mom didn't believe me I was in the theater, so I used my friend's cell and called my mom and I had everyone (packed) theater say hi loudly (which they nicely cooperated) and then some old man was like "Want a beer?" and I was like, "no I'll kick you in the prostate old man."
Good times..

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
My mom didn't believe me I was in the theater, so I used my friend's cell and called my mom and I had everyone (packed) theater say hi loudly (which they nicely cooperated) and then some old man was like "Want a beer?" and I was like, "no I'll kick you in the prostate old man."
:confused:
I agree with others that it's definitely worth a rent, but doesn't seem to have much replay value.

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
Same here, rent it before buying it. I thought it was okay but nothing spectacular. Then again, I didn't like Memento too much either. To each their own...

RobertCharlotte

Supporting Actor
I saw the new version in the theater and the original on DVD (thanks, Criterion!).
IMHO, the original is a compelling film, but it feels a little amateurish, like a first effort from the director. Showing promise but lacking polish. You know all the cliches.
The remake is, if anything, too polished. Too neat, too tidy. But by far the better film, even if for that.
My biggest disappointment in the original was that it did such a poor job of making the viewer feel the effects of the main character's sleep-deprivation. I won't spoil anything about the remake for you, but there is one scene in particular that really conveys just how out of it he is.
My biggest disappointment in the remake is that they didn't get the rights to name Al Pacino's character Link Removed and call the whole thing a sequel. The character was almost exactly the same character Pacino played in Heat, so why not use that to an advantage. :D

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
My biggest disappointment in the original was that it did such a poor job of making the viewer feel the effects of the main character's sleep-deprivation.
True. Next, I thought that we were not given enough reason to care about his problems (guess I’ll stop here as this isn’t a discussion). Still, I’ve watched this a couple of times. It is a fine effort. Not seen the remake and from the discussion in this thread, I am not impelled to do so.

TimDoss

Second Unit
By the end of Insomnia(the remake, haven't seen the original),
I couldn't care less what happened to the characters.
I wasn't impressed with it at all, and definitely won't
be buying it.
And though one has nothing at all to do with the
other, I absolutely loved Memento.

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
It works nicely on the big screen with the lighting. Don't think it'll work as nice at home unless you have a projector or something.

Chris M

Second Unit
I saw it in theaters, and I agree that it's a 1 shot thing, definately not worth a 2nd viewing, but I'd still say it IS worth a 1st viewing. So rent it :)
Chris.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks