What's new

Is "Imagine: John Lennon" still in print? (1 Viewer)

Peter Mazur

Second Unit
I was watching this great documentary this morning on cable and realized I never purchased the dvd. When I went online to order it, I couldn't find it available. Does anyone know if it is still in print?

Also I would love to have both "The Compleat Beatles" and the "Anthology" series. Anyone know if these are coming out anytime soon?

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Imagine: John Lennon (the movie, not the music video) has never been released on DVD.

- Steve

Greg Krewet

Premium
Supporter
Incidentally, Imagine is now playing at the Rock and Roll
Hall of Fame in Cleveland and it appears that the sound has been remixed for DD5.1. So it could be coming as the credits reflect a very recent sound remix.
Best
Greg

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
While not released on DVD, it was available on LD (I still have a copy). Check EBay if you have a LD player.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
ANTHOLOGY is being worked on right now. No word as to when to expect it, though. I doubt if COMPLEAT will ever be released, as the ANTHOLOGY covers much of the same ground and is the "official" word from the band.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
You know I've never seen Imagine, as it came out at a time when I wasn't very well aware of Lennon or the Beatles. At this time, I'm terribly fond of their music and the way they conducted their lives - particularly John...

Could someone tell me if Imagine is a documentary? A dramatic film? A concert film?

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
Imagine: John Lennon is a 1988 documentary feature by Andrew Solt. Ultimately, the film comes up slight in some areas, however it covers John's entire 40 years in a scant 104 minutes. Lots of great footage from Lennon's personal archive was used.

Despite the R rating, I saw this in a theater when I was 13. I found it compelling even then, and I still stop to watch it whenever it's on cable.

For me, one of the more notable aspects of the film is that nearly all the music was remixed. George Martin handled the Beatles tunes, which sometimes appear as very notable alternate mixes. When the film turns to Lennon's solo career, there are even a good number of alternate takes that hadn't been released up to that point. It will be great if this makes it to DVD in a new 5.1 mix.

In one of the Warner chats here at the HTF, someone asked about Imagine: John Lennon coming to DVD, and Warner repilied that it needed remastering. Indeed, the VHS and LD releases are interesting in that much of the footage in the film that originated from video sources (TV interviews, for instance) was actually shown in its orginal video format. Some questions about aspect ratios and video vs. film content would need to be addressed before mastering this one for DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks