Is How High the worst movie ever?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bergan Peters, Dec 18, 2001.

1. Bergan Peters

Bergan Peters Stunt Coordinator

I haven't seen it. I will never see. I wouldn't see it if someone gave me a ticket. There are movies sometimes that just look SO bad that you KNOW. Am I the only one that questions how movies like this get a mass release while excellent films like Ghostworld are relegated to art house theaters. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

nope, dude where's my car is the worst movie ever...no wait, the ladies man is the worst

3. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

I always thought it was Freddie Got Fingered. I was shocked to see it rank only second on the worst list for some. I have never heard of a movie as bad as FGF.
    Oh wait, I'm always waiting on Robot Bastard (http://www.robotbastard.com/) to hit the theaters [​IMG]

4. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

While I don't think a comedy with 2 rappers with no acting experience it the makings for something great... take a look at FRIDAY. Written by 2 guys with a hip-hop background, and no real experience in film or comedy writing... Starring a rapper with questionable acting experience.

Granted, Ice Cube had a bit more chops under his belt as an actor than Method Man and Redman (Although Ice Cube's 2 major parts pre-friday were in dramas, not comedy), but the idea that this movie will be so bad without seeing it is unfair.

I thought the same thing from the trailers of OFFICE SPACE, a movie I dissed repeatedly without seeing it- only to eat my words when I caught it on cable years later and found it was really brilliant.

To be honest, lately some of the funnier comedies released have be "african-american" comedies... so maybe this movie has a chance?

I'm certainly not going to rip it apart without at least seeing it, or at the very least getting a review from a friend that I trust.

-Vince

5. Chris Lynch

Chris Lynch Stunt Coordinator

As for my worst movie ever, I still stand by the MST3K gang and proclaim "Manos: The Hands of Fate." So bad that even with the MST gang, it was difficult to watch.

6. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

Have any of you seen the previews for the new movie that is a martial arts spoof? One part has a cow "squirting" it's own milk at a guy who is dodging the milk like Neo dodged the bullets in the Matrix.
    I have to say that this movie looks to be the worst movie EVER!
    Sorry, I can't remember the name of it.
    EDIT: It's call Kung Pow!: Return of the Fist

7. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

*cough* Druids *cough* Worst film of 2001 *cough* Nothing will beat it *cough cough*

8. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

SON OF A ...
    I swear to God that I was just going to go ahead and jump in this thread and say "You might want to ask Jason about Druids before you make this claim".
    I even passed on saying this earlier but finally decided it should be said. Low and behold he's one step ahead of me.
    I've got Rings in 7 hours, why am I still awake at this time of night? [​IMG]

9. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

There is no chance in hell i'm going to see them, but I think my instincts tell me that Bones and The Wash would be among the worst movies.

10. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

See, here's how Hollywood thinks: If they make a movie with several POT references, the easily amused potheads will adore it...as if just the merest MENTION of marijuana is cause for hysterical peals of laughter.
    And trust me, I'm somewhat of an expert on 'easily amused potheads'. [​IMG] Suffice to say that I'll be avoiding this movie, despite my devotion to the herb in question.
    P.S. Whoever said The Wash is the worst movie of the year knows what they're talking about. What a laughless, ponderous and ugly "comedy" that was! Yuck!

11. Tim Campbell

Tim Campbell Agent

WHy does this movie have a wide release? One reason and one reason only: 16-24 year old demographic. They buy the tickets and spend themoney on food

12. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

It may not be for you, and I'm pretty sure it's not for me; however:

1. There is an audience for it

2. It likely cost very little to make, meaning a high return.

I expect it will do reasonably well this weekend and fall off the charts. I couldn't make last night's screening, but I will be there Friday. If it's on the level of Bones, it won't be a total waste of time. If it's like The Wash, ugh. (I didn't like Bones but thought it was a lot more interesting than the ads might let on. The Wash, on the other hand, is sloppy, sloppy filmmaking.)

Edited to include this comment: Oh, as much as I loved Ghost World, How High will probably make more money this weekend than Terry Zwigoff's film did during its whole run.

13. PeteD

PeteD Stunt Coordinator

I'll second Manos: The Hands Of Fate

I think it was Crow who said: "each frame of this film looks like someones last known photograph!"

A little nugget on Mano's:

It was filmed 40 seconds at a time with a silent camera. All the voice acting is done by like 3 people.

There's a movement on the Internet to get a remake made.

The horror. The horror!

P.

14. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

I dont know about you, but the shot of them driving into the Harvard sign had me crying when I first saw it.
    Oh yes, and I agree with Manos: Hands of Fate being the worst film ever. [​IMG]

15. Bill J

Bill J Producer

I always thought that Rush Hour was.

16. Jin E

Jin E Second Unit

Freddie got Fingered is at the top of my list. It was pure torture to watch that piece of drivel. Next would be Driven, Leonard Part 6, and Battielfield Earth. I heard that Glitter was bad... but I don' know of ANYONE who went to see it.

17. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

Holy hell! I didn't even know Glitter came out! Wasn't EVER going to see it anyway. Guess that's why Mariah had a breakdown, she probably realized how horrible it was!

18. Tino

Tino Lead Actor
    Supporter

Valentino
    How High may be terrible, but I'm sure it will be Citizen Kane compared to the absolute WORST film of 2001, American Pie 2, a "film" with absolutly NO redeeming qualities and tortorously horrible in EVERY SINGLE WAY!!
    To quote Al Brown who once described a film he hated, "I hate this film with the white hot intensity of a thousand burning suns!"
    NO film for me will be worse than the piece of SHITE that is American Pie 2!
    UGH![​IMG]

19. JasonK

JasonK Supporting Actor

I'm gonna go hide in the corner now, since I plan on seeing this. I took a chance on Pootie Tang and Friday, and enjoyed both. Yes, I'm being serious.

However, I'm not a fan of "pot-movies." Here's some titles we have at the video store I work at:

1. Bongwater (Andy Dick and Jack Black are in it)

2. Cash Crop

3. Grass - A decent, if totally biased documentary.

4. The Hemp Revolution

5. Killer Bud - starring Parker Lewis (I forgot his real name.)

It's amazing how large of a market there is for these things. They rent fairly often. I've only seen 'Grass' though.

20. Michael Silla

Michael Silla Second Unit

Vince:

I absolutely LOVED "Friday" :b. I don't think the world of Ice Cube but I respect him as a actor. I guess part of the reason (okay, most of it!) why I like the film is BECAUSE of Chris Tucker. This film has become a "classic" of sorts to some people.

The worst movie of 1999?. That definently was "Next Friday". That was a film that never should have been made.

Michael.

BTW, my vote for the worst movie of 2001 foes to Antitrust, a film Tim Robbins, an otherwise good actor, should have never been involved with.