1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Is his a Ebay scam?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Doug Krenik, Feb 11, 2003.

1. Doug Krenik

Doug Krenik Auditioning

I've gotten a couple of emails from "Ebay" wanting to update my "ebay billing information". I click on the link and it takes me to a page which asks me to give my ebay users name, password, credit card number and checking account numbers. They say that failure to provide this information will cause cancelation of my account. What's also strange is that it appears not to be a secure site (no padlock). I only buy and have never sold anything on Ebay. I don't intend to fill this out, but is this a scam?

Doug

2. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    It is surely a scam. Don't provide any of the information.

3. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Yep, definitely a scam (not by Ebay, but some crook somewhere).

4. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

Scam.

Ebay doesn't even keep billing information.

5. Eve T

Eve T Supporting Actor

Respond back to the crook in the provided fields with:

I've forwarded this to the F.B.I. have a nice day........

That's what I'd do. [​IMG]

6. Marshall W. Carter

Marshall W. Carter Stunt Coordinator

Unless you're a seller, eBay does not ask for this information (unless you use a free e-mail service like Hotmail, and then all they need is your credit card info for ID purposes), and they explicitly say that they'll never ask you for this information in an e-mail. It sounds suspicious (especially if you are not selling and it's asking for your bank info), but even if it was legit, eBay would direct you to a secure portion of their site.

If I were you, I'd go online and log into your account and make sure all your info is up-to-date. If you do that, and you are still getting these e-mails, someone's definitely trying to dupe you into something.

7. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Did the URL of the 'billing info' site begin with www.ebay.com or something like that? if not, then definitely its a scam

8. David-S

David-S Second Unit

actually, look at the URL, i'll bet you $.25 it had

http:// www.ebay.com/secure/cgi/blahblah @scamsite.com

That means that everything in front of the @ symbol is ignored, and you're redirected to another site... they're just trying to get your credit and bank info... if you send an email to ebay about it, they'll track it down, and make the site shut down at least... (you need to send the full email, headers and all, so they know where it actually came form)

9. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    I have received these emails. They are ILLEGAL and a scam. Do not even reply to them. Copy the entire email including header and report it to eBay, as they asked me to do. These people are trying to obtain email, eBay and, worst of all, credit card information from you.

10. Doug Krenik

Doug Krenik Auditioning

Thanks for your input. I thought it was a fraud and sent Ebay a copy of the header and text last nite. I just wonder how many people do fall for this kind of stuff? The site looked just like an Ebay site. I got very suspicious when they asked for my checking account # and social security #.

Doug