What's new

Is 'hell' considered to be a swear word? (1 Viewer)

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
I also think a lot of it has to do with the context it's in. Referring to Hell as a place is better than saying "what the hell."

Alan Benson

Stunt Coordinator
In certain circles here in Utah, if you used the word it would elicit gasps and probably a stern lecture.
As soon as heard the phrase Oh, my heck! on Survivor this season, I knew that Neleh must be a Utah Mormon... Sure enough, I was right... Oh, my heck is one of the things I'll remember most from my time in St. George. That and fry sauce, the official state condiment... :)

Paul Richardson

Second Unit
My family all lives out of state now, but they appreciate it when I send them fry sauce. I've even exported that stuff to Mexico.

I also enjoyed a huge laugh when Neleh said "Oh my heck!"

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I recall learning in school that Hell was originally considered a very frigid place. It wasn't until Dante wrote "The Inferno" that hell was considered to be a place of extreme heat. Maybe the book DannyR suggests will verify this.

But, back to the question. I was always taught that if you use the word in the biblical sense, as in opposite of heaven, then it was permissible to say. If you were using it as a slang term, then it was a "dirty" word.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
So while Hell certainly was considered a swear word at one time, it has pretty much lost that designation. (Now it is used as mere verbal emphasis. A few other words, including one that begins with an "F", are rapidly moving in the same direction, used so often and so casually that they are losing the ability to shock that is the hallmark of profanity.
The "F-bomb" gets dropped a lot where I work (a very professional place by the way, not construction site or something) but one day I said it in front of someone from my company but from a different office, and he called me on it. Needless to say, I was very embarrassed, so I try to watch myself. :b

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
The "F-bomb" gets dropped a lot where I work (a very professional place by the way, not construction site or something)
I've worked in places where it was used so often, just for emphasis, that I found myself starting to habitually use it either from an unconcious desire to fit in or through osmosis. I had to make a deliberate effort to break the habit since I think constant profanity is both unattractive and pointless - in part for precisely the reason I mentioned above, it has just become background noise and no longer has any shock value.
However, I once worked at a service dispatch/call center where I was probably the only one who didn't curse a lot. One day after hanging up on a particularly unreasonable and abusive customer I muttered, "And f*** you very much too, sir" - I thought under my breath. Well, everyone else in the room heard it and it was one of those E.F. Hutton moments* - total silence for about 20 seconds before somebody said, "Did he just say that?" followed by uncontrolled laughter. (Everybody must have hit the mute button on their phone at the same time. :))
Regards,
Joe
* Older members will know what I'm talking about. :D

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I love that word for some reason. Especially the expression "What/Who the hell...". I have a female friend who is very hmmm... promiscous (sp?) and yet strongly objects to that word for religious reasons :eek:
--
Holadem

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
If we accept the quote given to me by Theresa Manyan during Freshman year, "that it will be a cold night in hell before I sleep with you" and take into account the fact that I still have NOT succeeded in having sexual relations with her, then Option 2 cannot be true...Thus, hell is exothermic.
:laugh::laugh::laugh: I like this guy!

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
It's like I tell my friends it's all in how ya use it.
Just like my wife said to me the other day wile we were fighting (Who Gives A Fuck) I simpley replyed (Well If We Stop Fighting I'll Give You A Good Fuck) :D :D :D

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
I consider Hell to be a very, very minor swear word - that is, I would use it in public but not when I must be on my very best behavior..

Joe made a very good point. When our popular culture is bombarded with (former) curse words, it does make true profanity much harder to use. You can't just drop the f-word because everybody's already saying it. It loses its impact. Let me also add that I work in a union tire factory where profanity is the order of the day. In order to elicit maximum response, I've heard some VERY profane comments, even by my lowered standards. Some day, I'll have to tell you what I called my foreman during a heated exhange...

Dave Ringkor

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave Ringkor
MARGE: So, what did you children learn about today?

BART: Hell.

HOMER: Bart!

BART: But that's what we learned about! I sure as hell can't tell you we learned about hell unless I say hell can I?

HOMER: Ehh, he has a point.

BART: Hell yes.

MARGE: Bart!

BART: Hell hell hell hell hell hell hell.

MARGE: You're no longer in Sunday School...don't swear!

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
Sorry Paul, I absolutely cannot post it on the forum. It would be a guaranteed ticket out of here. Let's just say it involves the consumption of bodily fluids from a large number of donors...

Steve_J

Grip
I would definitely consider the slang use of the word hell to be just as offensive as any other curse word. All curse words degrade the speaker both mentally and spirtually and show that person's real ignorance and lack of character. However, I believe the Biblical use of the word Hell is perfectly acceptable when it is used right.
I would also like to add that I find it incredibly offensive whenever someone "casually" takes the name of the Lord in vain, like with "Oh my God..." or "Jesus Christ!" That shows incredible ignorance and disrespect.
That's just my religious opinion

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
Dave, amazingly, its that scene that prompted me to post the question!
Tim, I think I got it. :eek:

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Without getting any more religious, the thing you have to realize is there are people that dont believe in God, so to them its not a big deal. However, saying it casually without even worrying that someone might be offended is as rude as using any other curse word IMHO?

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
At school with my buddies, no...
At home with my snitchy little brother, yes...
He's so damn annoying, he thinks almost every damn curse is a swear word dammit!!!
Words my brother thinks are swear words that really arent (by really arent i mean words they use on TV):
Damn, Hell, Ass, Bitch...
What the freakin heck is that all about? :D

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
Well Nick, technically those are swear words, although now they have become socially acceptable profanities. Talk about an oxymoron!

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Well Nick, technically those are swear words
Well, there is no defined "technical" list of swear words. I'm sure 100 years ago, fart was probably not considered proper to be said in mixed company, so is it still a swear word just because its now a more socially acceptable word?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks