What's new

Is HDMI upgradable? on plasmas? (1 Viewer)

Daniel P

Stunt Coordinator
The reason I ask is, I want to buy a Panasonic 50" plasma, and a ps3, but I hear the ps3 will have HDMI 1.3, and the Panny 50" has only HDMI 1.1.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Unlikely, but it shouldn't be a problem or really anything you'd be too concerned about in the near-term.

Darren_N

Stunt Coordinator
So do we know what kinds of features those of us who have TV's with 1.1 will be missing out on once 1.3 (and beyond) becomes the norm?

Thanks.

Darren

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
you miss out on basically nothing. There is some added bit-depth capability which could be taken advantage of more in the future, which is nice. But you can already do 10 and 12-bit with current HDMI if you're sending YCbCr. IF you're using RGB, then you are stuck with the 8-bit bottleneck (same as DVI) which can sometimes be a problem if you're doing processing and such in the source or earlier in the chain.

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
If you intend to purchase one of the "industrial" versions of this display then a blade with HDMI upgrades will probably become available at some time. On the consumer unit I think you'd be stuck.

Mort

dany

Supporting Actor
Real Name
D
I think HDMI has said no plans for any upgrades but i guess that could change someday.

Darren_N

Stunt Coordinator
Chris,

Thanks for the reply. When you say 10 and 12 bit with current HDMI, you mean per color, right? So 30 and 36 bit total for red, green, and blue?

I think I've read that HDMI 1.3 will support 30, 36, and 48 bit.

Darren

orestes

Second Unit
Real Name
Orestes
Please, educate me here. So if I get a PS3 which will have support for HDMI 1.3, but my TV set only supports HDMI 1.1 and so does my AV Receiver, could I still connect the PS3 (HDMI 1.3) directly to my AV Receiver without seeing any problems whatsoever? In other words, does HDMI 1.3 have backward compatibility with 1.1?

Thanks,
orestes

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks