What's new

Is HDMI In, then Component Out through any current Onkyo receiver possible? (1 Viewer)

homerun79

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff
My customer wants to hookup Apple TV, the latest one which only has HDMI out through an Onkyo TX-SR608 which he hasn't bought yet but is planning to. Thing is, his theatre room projector was only wired with Component Video and not HDMI, so we have to use Component Out from our receiver.

I have contacted Onkyo for an answer, none received yet (called them today) and the manual doesn't confirm this to my knowledge.

Assuming the receivers cannot do it, our other options are finding an HDMI to Component Video AND Audio switcher, which I have not yet found online, or perhaps another brand of receiver can do this.

I work for a dealer that carries Harman Kardon, Onkyo, Pioneer and Sony receiver, not the full range on all brands but most of them.

I suppose if none of these options work/exist, we could try and track down the old Apple TV which has Component Video?

Thanks for your time everyone!

Jeff

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I don't know of any brand that will down convert the video like that. A lot of them will up convert from component to HDMI, but not the other way. That's kinda defeating the purpose of HDMI.......... I also don't know of any converters, but you may find one of those, before you'll find a receiver to do it.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I don't think you're going to find and HDMI to component converter due to DMCA restrictions. And if you do, it's going to down-res the output.

Why Apple TV? Maybe he could use one of the many other devices (Popcornhour, Seagate FreAgent Theater, etc).

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Welcome to Home Theater Forum Jeff. I wouldn't try to convert HDMI to component. IF it works you will probably end up with 480p at best due to copy protection rules. In this instance your two options are to get the older model Apple TV and use an analog output or bite the bullet and wire up his projector for HDMI. With the pending analog sunset he his going to need HDMI to the projector eventually anyway.

homerun79

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff
Thanks for the insight guys, and thanks for the welcome Adam!

As I suspected, didn't think it was likely to show up in any receivers...

Anderson: he is one of those guys that saw something cool at his buddies house and now he just Has to have it lol...

Thanks

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
A friend of mine has a similiar question. This is what he asked me:

"Is it possible to run HDMI from my Blu-ray player in to my audio receiver and run the signal via the component cables out to my TV? I have a first generation HDTV and am only expecting 1080i resolution."

snowskiiier

Auditioning
Real Name
Everett
Found a HDMI to 5 RCA component AV Converter. Amazon has is, sold by Cable Matters. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002WBOQPU/ref=ox_ya_os_product

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks