Is Gunga Din coming to DVD? If so...

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ray_R, Feb 28, 2004.

1. Ray_R

Ray_R Screenwriter

...when? I've been looking to buy this DVD starring Cary Grant and wondered why it's not on DVD yet. I'm quite sure Universal owns this picture and since I greatly enjoy adventure movies, plus I'm sure there's numerous fans, Universal is just basically passing up on a cash cow. So, if anyone had any news or if there's any legal matters to this issue and if you had something to say about this please feel free to do so. Please post what you'd like on the DVD and posting feedback will be most excellent.
    Thanks![​IMG][​IMG]

P.S. I'm also going to take notes.

2. Brian PB

Brian PB Supporting Actor

Gunga Din was made for RKO, so those rights are currently held by Warner Brothers. The studio has said they are currently working on a restoration (along with another highly anticipated Cary Grant film, Bringing Up Baby). They should both be released in 2005.

From USA Today:

3. Ray_R

Ray_R Screenwriter

This is like Mozart to my ears. Most wonderful news to hear!
    [​IMG]

4. Garrett Adams

Garrett Adams Supporting Actor

1939 was a truly fabulous year for film. Three adventure yarns I anxiously await are Gunga Din, Beau Geste, and The Four Feathers.

5. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

wonderful news indeed

[​IMG]

6. Derek_McL

Derek_McL Second Unit

Garrett there is a Carlton R2 DVD of The Four Feathers. Pretty much barebones but its a pretty good transfer of a good film. I quite like Beau Geste too but that was a Paramount film now presumably owned by Universal (there was a silent version before the 1939 one not sure who has the rights to that) who aren't exactly releasing a lot of their Paramounts. I've never much liked Gunga Din though, I've always found it pretty boring and not a patch on other British Empire films like Errol Flynn's The Charge of the Light Brigade. Grant didn't make many action films. I think he was better in thrillers and comedies.