Is Graphic Eye better than X-10 ?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Tom Kay, Jul 17, 2005.

1. Tom Kay

Tom Kay Stunt Coordinator

Hi Everyone;

I am still not sure what system I'll install in my theater to control the lighting. Fortunately I'm still at the stage where changes are pretty easy to do.

I have thought about Smarthome's Switchlinc products, the 2386 switch that works on x-10 principles. Then I keep reading about Graphic Eye, and how people like it. I'm a bit confused about the systems, but here's a few questions;

1. I have 5 separate circuits or zones to control. I want roughly 5 or 6 preset scenes to control all 5 zones at the same time. Is either system good for this? I'm pretty sure x-10 or Switchlinc products can do this.

2. I have heard that x-10 is susceptible to electrical interference and burning out easily with voltage surges. How about Graphic Eye? Is this more stable and tougher to damage?

3. How about cost? It looks like Smarthome's Switchlinc series is pretty reasonable, along with their controls that you need to buy. Is Graphic Eye a lot more costly?

4. I went to Graphic Eye's website, and it looks like they suggest the "Maestro IR" system for theaters. Does anyone have this? Can you shed some light on it's abilities?

Thanks to all, Tom Kay.

2. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

The Graphic Eye systems I'm familiar with - mostly 5000 and 6000 series have a 'box' with a number of dimmers in them, controlled from a head-end. The only 'interference' it is subject to is when the power goes down.

To me, they're excessively expensive and limited for what they are - but when you're talking 200+ dimmers, it's really too big for Lutron.

For a

3. rob-h

rob-h Second Unit

They are both good for what you want to do with the price edge going to x10. FYI, I have had x10 wall switch/dimmers and outlets in my house for 8 years without one probelm. I live in the woods and we have frequent surges and power outages.

4. TeddM

TeddM Agent