What's new

Is “Giant” overlooked BD-wise? (1 Viewer)

M90GM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JUSTIN
Giant was one of WB’s biggest films – yet the blue ray release received a disappointing upgrade released as part of the James Dean triple set. Watching it again, the quality was inferior to the amazing standard Warner has set. Sound was also disappointing and a remaster hopefully will be an option – but as is probably the case, interest might be low and the remaining elements just not worth the expense of a restoration. Has anyone else found the print to be disappointing? The reviews on release were all extremely positive – but on my very large screen the quality was more like a DVD.

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Hi Justin, from my understanding this was the best WHV could do with this title, which is apparently extremely problematic, so I'm grateful that it was released at all. Here's Mr. Harris's review of the Dean Blu-ray set, which covers Giant: https://www.hometheaterforum.com/co...-the-james-dean-collection-in-blu-ray.327393/

By the way, fans of the film might be interested to know that there's a new making of book due out this week called Giant: Elizabeth Taylor, Rock Hudson, James Dean, Edna Ferber, and the Making of a Legendary American Film by Don Graham.

09graham-fivequestions-master180.jpg

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Giant was one of WB's biggest films - yet the blue ray release received a disappointing upgrade released as part of the James Dean triple set. Watching it again, the quality was inferior to the amazing standard Warner has set. Sound was also disappointing and a remaster hopefully will be an option - but as is probably the case, interest might be low and the remaining elements just not worth the expense of a restoration. Has anyone else found the print to be disappointing? The reviews on release were all extremely positive - but on my very large screen the quality was more like a DVD.

Giant, unfortunately displays the worst attributes of WarnerColor, and its use of single strand negative cutting.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
It should also be remembered that when Warner Home Video was responsible for releasing Blu-ray discs, the quality was variable to say the least. It is only since Warner Archive have taken over the Blu-ray program, that the quality has been so consistently high.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Speaking of George Stevens i hope Gunga Din will get a blu-ray release soon. The 2004 dvd release i saw a few months ago is ok but could look better.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
It should also be remembered that when Warner Home Video was responsible for releasing Blu-ray discs, the quality was variable to say the least. It is only since Warner Archive have taken over the Blu-ray program, that the quality has been so consistently high.
Yeah but even Archive probably couldn't salvage Giant. The source materials were pretty FUBAR'd even back in the 50s.

Reactions: PMF

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
When I got that James Dean Blu-ray set, I watched East of Eden and Rebel Without a Cause pretty soon after getting it. I have yet to watch Giant from it. I had watched my DVD of it shortly before receiving the set, and I've just never gone back to it. I need to do something about that relatively soon.

Reactions: PMF

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The Blu-ray of Giant puts the DVD to shame in every way. Just look at the handful of non-optical shots in the Blu-ray of Giant - they look amazing. Unfortunately, this film has more opticals than about ten other films combined.

Unfortunately, not only Opticals, but no cut-ins. When there’s an optical, it can go for 200 feet.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
The RAH review is a major and mandatory prep read. Everything is placed within its proper perspectives and lends the proper balance of what one is about to view. Upon the BD release of Giant, I read RAH's review and did not hesitate on making my purchase. Again, I returned to Mr. Harris' review about a month ago - some 3 plus years after its initial posting - as I was about to embark on an altogether different viewing through the prism of a 4K up-rez. With a stack of multiple titiles, my BD of Giant was initially thrown into the Sony 4K player as a "just to see what its like" reference. Giant never made it out of that player until 4 hours later, No doubt, we have seen better on BD; but problematic film stocks deserve to be considered in a case by case scenario where extensive works were performed to the utmost. Yes, en totale. I could see where Giant wanted to go or, should I say, where it once was.
Remarkably, though, Giant still remains...well...Giant. And this experience couldn't help but to make me all the more grateful for the those many older films that were able to thankfully find its ways to a finer light on BD.
BOTTOM LINE: Giant remains a Must See and a Must Own.

Last edited:

M90GM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JUSTIN
Hi Justin, from my understanding this was the best WHV could do with this title, which is apparently extremely problematic, so I'm grateful that it was released at all. Here's Mr. Harris's review of the Dean Blu-ray set, which covers Giant: https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/threads/a-few-words-about-™-the-james-dean-collection-in-blu-ray.327393/

By the way, fans of the film might be interested to know that there's a new making of book due out this week called Giant: Elizabeth Taylor, Rock Hudson, James Dean, Edna Ferber, and the Making of a Legendary American Film by Don Graham.

09graham-fivequestions-master180.jpg
thank you!! will buy!!

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Unfortunately, not only Opticals, but no cut-ins. When there’s an optical, it can go for 200 feet.

That was my point - the opticals go on FOREVER in Giant and there are a ton of them of that duration. That was Mr. Stevens' thing - he loved his slow dissolves. Sometimes you cut out of a long optical for one shot, then you're back to another optical for the next 100 feet or whatever.

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
I have never seen Giant, but I picked up this disk on sale last summer. I'm glad to know it is at least a serviceable viewing copy for one who wants to watch for the first time.

I need to get this one and Zulu in the rotation soon.

(At any given time, I have about 30 disks that need watching).

moviepas

Supporting Actor
I got the link open(6pp) by using the link from M90GM but the original link at the top of the page for the James Dean Collection was to Coco each time I clicked it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks