Is George Harrison's 'All Things Must Pass' a SafeAudio (copy-protected) CD?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keith Paynter, Dec 3, 2001.

1. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

I popped ATMP into my DVD player for the first time a couple of days ago, and a funny thung happened - it wouldn't play the CD. This was odd, because Pioneer DVD and LD players will play CD-RWs and unfinalized CD-R's.

I popped it into my LD player and all was cool. Did this mean my DVD player was defective?

Fast forward to today. Reading the weekend newpaper, the was an AP article about the introduction of copy-proof CD's, which has been casually mentioned before. Attempts to rip mp3's from these CD's result in unpleasant pops and clicks which make the song less desireable for mp3 audio and for file sharing.

According to the article, copy-protected Cd's will not play on CD_rOM drives or DVD players. They were never designed for copy-protection and retrofitting is causing all sorts of problems.

Another sidebar to this Disc - Windows Media pPlayer does not properly recognize the Cd - The artist and album title come up, but asll the tracks are 'untitled'.

Does this mean that Our beloved DVD players as replacements for CD players are going to be next in line at garage sales, pawn shops or (gasp) Ebay?

2. Jon Sheedy

Jon Sheedy Stunt Coordinator

I had a similiar problem with this title yesterday...was making a George Harrison favorites for my mom and although Realplayer recognized all other CD's, when I placed the new ATMP in it failed to list the song titles. I had to go and name each song that I chose to record from this title...very strange since it's a new title.

It does play just fine in my Toshiba DVD player (which will NOT play recorded CD's).

Jon

3. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Greg, thanks for the link. I didn't know there were that many copy-protected CDs being sold in the US. In perusing the web site you provided, I found the following statement about copy-protected CDs interesting:

5. Anthony Hom

Anthony Hom Supporting Actor

I have ATMP remastered, and I have already ripped files from both discs in the set on a Mac, using soundjam with no problems whatsoever. plays great on my riovolt player.

6. Chris Brunner

Chris Brunner Second Unit

I just got around to playing this CD on my Toshiba sd-4700 DVD player yesterday. After playing many of the songs fine, audio started dropping out at certain points toward the last few songs (disc 1). Each time I rewound, the audio dropped out at the same exact time. I hope to try it in another player soon.

Strange... Troubling....

C