What's new

Is generic printer ink as good as the name brand stuff? (1 Viewer)

John Torrez

Second Unit
Here's the thing. I am out of ink and I don't want to pay an arm and a leg for the name brand stuff. I noticed that the generic is a hell of a lot cheaper, but is it as good? And if so, which generic brand ink is the best and what site to buy it from? By the way, the ink is for my Canon BJC-2000 printer.

Darren Lewis

Supporting Actor
If the printer is still under warrant, I think it invalidates it if you use generic ink.
If it isn't, it's probably worth a try, although I've no experience of this personally. Let us know if it's OK.
------------------
My HT My DVD Collection

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
I used Epson's own ink in my Colour 640 for over three years with no problems at all. Then I switched to a generic replacement brand (a lot cheaper) and the printer failed eight months later.
I have no idea if the ink caused the downfall of the printer, but I'm not risking it again with new Photo 890 :)

Phu Vo

Stunt Coordinator
As sad as this sounds, generic ink can ruin printers. Which doesn't give us consumers many alternatives sadly. Seems residue from generic inks dry and harden the print heads making them unusable. Stay away from them at all costs.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Try Repeat-o-type. They have never failed me, and I've probably refilled and emptied 8 or 9 carts of their stuff. They formulate each refill kit to specifically mimic the ink used in the official carts
Jeff Kleist

Users who are viewing this thread