What's new

is geico the bose of insurance? (1 Viewer)

Kevin T

Screenwriter
i see all these ads for geico car insurance professing how much money can be saved yet when i get a rate quote with the exact same coverage i have now, they are generally $200-300 / 6 months higher. i'm not a horrible driver either...no tickets...one non-fault wreck in 98. i have asked several people who have received quotes from geico and they also claim that it was any where from $100 to $400 more / 6 months than they were currently paying? what gives? is anybody saving money with geico?

kevin t

ps. i am not making any claim as to the quality of the insurnace provided...just the price and "fancy" advertising.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
I'm saving money with Geico. My insurance with Geico costs half what it would have cost me if I had stayed with Allstate when I traded my car.

Tim Kilbride

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin,
I switched from State Farm to Geico years ago with no regrets...when I switched, it saved me a considerable amount of money. I too have a good driving record...I do own 4 vehicles + 1 motorcycle all insured with them. My homeowners is still State Farm. I will say that your insurance rates are now tied more to your credit rating than your actual driving record/ assesment as a risk to the insurance companies...I don't necessarily agree with this, but it is becoming more prevelant in the insurance industry (I have family member in the insurance industry).
I have had to make a few small claims with them. Hail damage on two vehicles, I had checks in my hand the same day for the repairs. My wife had one small accident about a year ago...they fixed the car with no problems (mechanic of my choice/ I chose the dealership). So from my standpoint they have been good by me.
I have periodically asked other companies for quotes just to see if they are in line with other companies, and I haven't really found anyone cheaper for the limits/policies I have in place.
My .02
I am not affiliated with Geico in any way...just a pretty satisfied customer.
Thanks
Tim K.
:emoji_thumbsup:

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I have never been with geico, but I have dealt with them after one of their insured ran into me, and I'm with buzz, no chance in hell I'd ever hold a policy with them.

Besides, state farm (for me) is less expensive, and uses all OEM parts.. the exact polar opposite from geico.

Tim Kilbride

Stunt Coordinator
Buzz...

When I signed on to Geico...they offered a plan (or rider as they called it) to my policy that for like 1.50/month or so extra, they would guarantee all replacement parts would be Ford OEM parts. I jumped on it. I've heard of the horror stories though...my sympathies to you and yours. It sucks because the minute your one minute late with the payment they drop you like a hot potato!!! Then your really screwed, it's one thing to buy a policy when you have insurance, try to buy a policy if you do not have insurance, you would think you have the plague or something!!!

TK-

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
We had GEICO on our cars and house ~ 5 yrs ago. We had a broken water pipe in an upstairs bathroom that caused a big mess. They got us cash very quickly so no complaints. No auto claims with them.

Now we have USAA, which is considerably cheaper. My wife was rear ended about 3 yrs ago and it was HER fault (cut the guy off). USAA paid, but I was dreading the rate increase. Turned out to be minimal, (~ 100.00/yr). 6 months later, my wife turned 40 and our rates dropped to levels below the pre-accident period !

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I wish Bose was like GEICO, since GEICO is not in the state of NJ (or MA), would that imply that Bose would not be in the state of NJ?

I have NJ Manufacturers which is excellent!!!! I'll never change, had one fender bender, somebody bumped me when somebody up ahead suddenly stopped. Since NJ is a no-fault state, I happily dealt with my insurance company which is always a nice experience, IME.

Jay

Rick Radford

Supporting Actor
One thing I've heard of Geico is that they provide radar guns to the police... which if true, would turn me off. Anyone know if this is true?
That would be like AV companies writing viruses so they could sell more AV software. ;)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
One thing I've heard of Geico is that they provide radar guns to the police... which if true, would turn me off. Anyone know if this is true?
I've heard this also. My fiance has Geico and they are extremely expensive and treat you like shit. They can eat it as far as I'm concerned. I have Amica and they are the best (according to virtually every survey, consumer group, and JD Powers).

Jeff Loughridge

Stunt Coordinator
I had Geico insurance for my car for 15 years or more, and on my house for 10 years. When we moved back to the DC area in 2000, I switched to Liberty Mutual through my credit union. They have 12 month policies. I pay less for the 12 months than I did for a 6 month with Geico, with the same coverage. My wife had a little fender bender, and I a ticket last year, and it only went up 10.00 per month. They do both house and car now.

Jeremy Illingworth

Supporting Actor
Just because a part is from a junk yard (which has a very negative ring to it) doesn't mean it isn't perfectly suitable. No reputable yard will sell parts that are worn out. I've been using wrecking yard (thats better) parts on every car I own since I started driving and I've never had a problem with them. I just got a new started there yesterday for 10% of the cost of a new one.

jeremy

Jason Handy

Second Unit
I hopped onto my wife's policy when we got married (GEICO). It turns out she had achieved preferred status, and speeding tickets are no longer affecting our policy rate. Kinda weird, huh? I had just received a ticket when I signed on, but they didn't care one bit about it.

This thread just goes to show you that everybody has a different experience. Some of us swear by GEICO, while others who have been burned avoid them like the plague.

As a final thought, I am wondering why GEICO seems to be all over the place with their rates and I wonder if it is regional? Perhaps since GEICO is a national company, they have different coverage levels in different states and this could make the math a bit fuzzier?

Jason

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
If you have a clean driving record, then Geico can be very cheap. Alas, I had a bad weekend a year ago (two accidents and a speeding ticket :frowning: ) and Geico booted me off of their good drivers policy. But, pleasantly, the agent working with me did a great job of conjuring up a new regular Geico policy for me, at a reasonable rate. So, my experience: good.
As a final thought, I am wondering why GEICO seems to be all over the place with their rates and I wonder if it is regional?
I think that all insurance companies' rates vary greatly across the country and over driver demographics.

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
I have NJ Manufacturers which is excellent!!!!
Me too Jay. They are great. I've had them for auto for 17 years, homeowners & flood for 5 years. No complaints whatsoever. And every year I get a nice rebate (dividend) check at the end of the year.

Geico has some funny tv commercials though.

Mark Paquette

Supporting Actor
Screw Geico. I have an excellent driving record, no tickets or accidents in the last 15 years. When I got a quote from Geico their rate was about 40% more than what I currently pay.

David Oliver

Second Unit
I was on Allstate and switched to Geico, this was about 6 years ago. They werte just a lot cheaper. Then I got a new car in August and compared rates and got a cheaper one from 21st Century so I switched. I have a very good driving record and cannot comment on the claims service at all.

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
All insurance companies (not just Geico) contribute to road safety. State Farm has paid a lot of money for studies, surveys, etc., to try to limit accidents.

If Geico is funding smaller agencies with Radar guns, it is not so that they can get more tickets, and raise rates. Just the opposite. If people slow down, there are less accidents, less injuries, and thus higher profits.

I have no problem at all with this practice by Geico or any other insurance company. I would not want to be with an insurance agency that doesn't want to promote safety!

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
If people slow down, there are less accidents, less injuries, and thus higher profits.
The whole "speed kills" propaganda is bullshit. Sure excessive speed can cause accidents, but excessively slow driving can as well, as can distractions, as can lack of skills. In the US driver training is woefully inadequate. You can get a license even though you're a dangerous driver. When the USA national 55 mph speed limit was abolished and limits went up on most major highways, accidents actually went down.

Users who are viewing this thread