1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Is From the Earth to the Moon "classroom safe" (re: language)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by JasonBrown, May 11, 2004.

1. JasonBrown

JasonBrown Stunt Coordinator

Mom is wanting to show some educational videos in her class the final week, and I recommended FTETTM. It's been awhile since I've viewed it. Are there any episodes with any cussing in it? (even 'minor' cussing)

2. RobertW

RobertW Supporting Actor

i think it's mostly fairly clean, but it's been a while since i watched them. there is one episode near the end, apollo 15(?) maybe, with keiran mulroney and the guy who plays the doctor on ER that lost his arm(damn, i love that guy, but can't recall his name). i think he plays pete conrad, who was known for his colorful language, which is displayed prominently at one point.

3. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    That'd be the Apollo 12 episode.

4. Bob Spears

Bob Spears Stunt Coordinator

Was that Peter Scalari? He starred in Bosum Buddies on TV opposite a young Tom Hanks. I think I have this right.

bob spears

5. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer
    Supporter

You are correct, except for the spelling. Peter Scolari played Astronaut Pete Conrad in FTETTM. He also was on the sitcom "Newhart".

6. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    Peter Scolari plays Pete Conrad in the first episode, but only the first episode. He's played by Paul McCrane in Part 7, "That's All There Is" and Conrad's colorful vocabulary is in full display.

In fact, there a joke where Conrad is training, and a group of school children are there to witness his language. There's also nudity in this episode as well.

7. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

You might recommend For All Mankind to your Mom. It is available on a Criterion DVD, and I think is a very fine documentary on the Apollo program. Some great extras as well, including a commentary by the director and Gene Cernan (last man on the moon).

You can turn on sort of a subtitle option and get captions as to which of the astronauts and mission control guys are actually talking.

There are also some paintings by Al Bean of his perception of being in space (and some commentary along with his paintings).

A very fine DVD.