Is Freeway anamorphic?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Chris PC, Feb 2, 2006.

1. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I cannot find info about this dvd. I actually owned it years ago when I had a 32" jvc tv, but I was thinking of viewing it again on my projector. I cannot remember if it is anamorphic or not. Does anybody know?

thanx

[​IMG]

2. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

It is letter boxed, but does not have 16x9 enhancement.

- Walter.

3. Magnus T

Magnus T Supporting Actor

Now that Reese Witherspoon has been oscar nominated there might be more interest in this among the mainstream crowd. Maybe enough to warrant a re - release with an anamorphic transfer and 5.1 sound. Extras aren't that important. Everyone in that movie is in their heights of their careers now. Reese, Keifer and Brittany. They could promote the DVD on name recognition.

4. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

More mainstream interest than those hip indie films like Legal Blond, Legally Blond 2, and Sweet Home Alabama had? [​IMG]

5. Magnus T

Magnus T Supporting Actor

I don't follow.

All I'm saying is that this little independent film might attract enough purchases to justify creating a new DVD with anamorphic pic and 5.1 sound.

6. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Yep. Great movie. Good commentary track too. Oh well, I may break down and buy or rent the non-anamorphic model again just for the heck of it. It would make a great movie to re-release with an anamorphic transfer and 5.1 sound...and perhaps a few extra's too, why stop there. Definitely an under-rated movie with good acting, good production and decent directing.

Has anybody bothered with FREEWAY 2 - confessions of a trick baby? Is that just a weird cult sequel or is it an ok movie?

7. Scott Temple

Scott Temple Supporting Actor

Yes, this is a very entertaining film. I'd say it's Reese Witherspoon's best acting. You know what I find odd? The DVD is THX Certified and non-anamorphic. You would think that if they went to the trouble of getting it THX Certified that they would have presented it in 16x9 too. THX and non-anamorphic. Kind of an oxymoron, huh?

"Holy shit. Look who got beat with the ugly stick! Is that you, Bob? I can't believe such a teeny little gun could make such a big mess out of someone. You are so ugly! You know it's gonna cramp your style big time. You know that, huh? Especially with little Miss Priss over there. And hey, I hear you've got one of those big poop bags and all of your shit falls into there. You're just a big 'ole shitbag, aren't you, Bob? You just think of me everytime you empty that fucking thing, motherfucker!" [​IMG]

8. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Whoa...nice quote..geeez that brings back memories. That movie is warped. Good, but warped. Reese pulls off the acting of her character so well its disturbing.

9. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

So nobody here has seen Freeway2 ?

10. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

I did. Not worth seeing.

Good soundtrack, that is about all that I can say about it. I saw it on cable one night. Haven't thought of it since.

FREEWAY though is indeed an excellent film. When it came out, there was a lot of talk that if it had played theatres (it premiered on cable), Reese may have gotten an Oscar nomination for it, she is so good.

As for the THX, the DVD came out before DVDs were anamorphic (or at least before most people knew what it was). The laserdisc was THX as well.

11. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Any chance we will see this disturbing but amazing film re-released on dvd? I suspect some things may be going into limbo/hold/backburner as studio's start deciding on the newer high resolution formats. I have a bad feeling that the transition into the newer high rez formats is going to be hell. Delay's and confusion, followed by frustration and problems.

I hope Freeway is re-released anamorphic with extra's. The commentary on the original dvd was excellent and they should keep that, and perhaps add more commentary. I may not be able to wait until this comes out again. I think I will grab it as-is for now [​IMG]

12. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

EDIT - It appears there is a R4 Anamorphic release coming out Jan 17-2007 [​IMG]

13. CameronMcC

CameronMcC Second Unit

this was one of the announced Paramount releases that was cancelled when they gave everything back to lionsgate....not sure if a new master was finished, but thats the word

14. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Checking on the internet I have seen that the R4 dvd is described as "Enhanced for 16 x 9". It is in stock at the store I ordered from. I rolled the dice. I guess I will see what I end up with [​IMG]

EDIT - It appears there are no extra's on the R4 disc...so, I picked up the UK disc for the extra's. I may also pick up a used copy of the original R1 disc to have again, but only if it's cheap.

15. Jack Johnson

Jack Johnson Second Unit

Saw it, and it's an edgy, over-the-top blast.

It isn't as centered--or grounded--by as well a drawn character as Reese Witherspoon's Vanessa Lutz, but this is another memorably twisted trip into the Mathew Bright sensibility.

Even though I missed the heart and spunk of Vanessa, it's a good film. I'd have to see it again to know whether I agree, but some have suggested director Bright envisioned "Confessions of a Trick Baby" as more on an exploitation film . Well, maybe I don't have to see it again; I'd say that's true. It's a unique piece of work.

You'll know whether it's up your alley right off the bat. But it's definitely a film you should make up your own mind about, because the people that dig it really dig it.

I got a decent recording of Freeway off cable the other night; it's open matte, but it looks great. The next time I seek it out will be on HD.

--Jack

16. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Picked up another used copy of the R1 again, and it's in good condition. Nice to have that commentary again. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same disc I originall sold to DejaVuDiscs. Great used DVD/CD store btw. I have been checking for the disc for a while and even searched dejavudiscs online before leaving the house but didn't see it, but it was there when I was in the store. I wasn't even looking for it. I also received my R2 version today. Bummer. The clear amray keep case is cracked and the dvd was loose inside and is scratched. Sucks. I will look for another clear case and give the disc a cleaning/buffing. The R2 has Cast & Crew Interviews, a Featurette and "On Location". Hopefully its a reasonable amount of material. :p Still waiting for my R4 from Aussie Land, but it was only officially released yesterday, so I'll be patient.

I hope collecting different versions of this DVD doesn't make me a sick person. I know I am weird, but there are scenes on this dvd I actually dislike because of the violence. Another movie like that is True Romance. I love much of the movie, but then there are certain violent scenes that are just too twisted and bother me. Oh well.

Any idea's if this could still be re-released in R1? I guess the HD formats are slowly becoming real and will eventually reduce the amount of sd releases/re-releases.

17. PaulP

PaulP Producer

18. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Nope...looks like I will own more copies of this freak movie than any other dvd I own..lol.. Hopefully it's a good anamorphic transfer and some interesting extra's. Now if only dvd's like Miracle Mile, Nixon and others would come out with good anamorphic transfers.

19. donnie_d

donnie_d Stunt Coordinator

that's a very ugly artwork to begin with.

20. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Yeah, I noticed that too. It looks horrible. It looks like a "Look, Reese and Kiefer are in this!"... stupid. The other covers are waaayy better... still waiting for my anamorphic R4 to arrive [​IMG]