Is Freddy Got Fingered THAT bad?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick McCart, Feb 26, 2002.

1. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I watched part of it with a friend and parts of it were actually pretty funny.
    The Tom Green Show used to be one of my favorite shows (I don't watch much TV now...) so why is it thought to be really bad?
    Keep in mind I only saw the first 20 minutes.
    I'm wearing a flame-proof suit, FYI. [​IMG]

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

The only witty thing on the disc is the 3min PG rated version that contains all of the MPAA demanded cuts

The movie should be buried for all time

3. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Any reasons in particular?

(ps, I also haven't seen this ... and want to know exactly what is so bad about it)

4. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

Believe it mate, it is a shocker. I got to view this garbage last week and had an extrememly hard time getting through the entire film (if you want to call it that). Tom Green just isn't funny, yelling, pulling faces, playing around with animals and chewing an umbilical cord is a lesson for all on how bad comedy can really get.

Here's hoping that Tom Green will never get a starring role again. I can't and i'm sure many others here on the forum can stress just how bad this is.

5. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

I liked some of the Tom Green show, but it was obvious that he was only palatable in 30 minute chunks. Any longer than that, and it was pretty hard to continue watching. I think that's why the Tom Green show doesn't have many marathons on MTV.

It was a terrible idea to put him in any role larger than his in Charlie's Angels. It was an even worse idea to put him in control of a film. He really needs reigns, badly.

6. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

I was not a big fan of Tom Green's prior to seeing FGF, but was prepared to give him more than a fair shot.
    After fifteen minutes, I wanted to scream. It's rare to see a comedian work so frantically with so little result. The depths to which Green will sink for a response is indicative of how little creativity he has.
    What? Masturbating a horse isn't enough? How about if ..umm.. have sex with a dead something? Eat vomit? How far do I need to go before you'll reward me with some laughter?
    Humor is of course very subjective, so if you happen to find Tom Green funny, that's great. Some people like to eat octopus. [​IMG]

7. Rob_C

Rob_C Stunt Coordinator

Yum! Octopus! I guess I'm in the minority her for liking Freddy Got Fingered.
    Patrick, it's like this with everyone I talk to. If you like Tom Green you'll like the movie, if you don't you'll hate it. I thought his show was quite funny and the movie shows more of the "extreme" side of Tom Green's humor.
    If you liked the first 20 minutes you'll probably like the rest of it.
    Well time to eat more of my octopus dinner! [​IMG]

8. Mark Palermo

Mark Palermo Second Unit

I am a big defender of Freddy Got Fingered.

My original review (first published in The Coast):

Freddy Got Fingered is as violent a reaction to the overly-sensitive 90s as Pink Flamingos was to the idealistic 60s. It's not a great movie (many will hate it), but after the tepid Tomcats and Joe Dirt this is one gross-out comedy that's at once fearless and culturally resonant. Bringing his comic terrorism to the feature film medium, the terminally unhinged Tom Green continues his assault on middle-class complacency. He plays Gord, a 28-year-old man-child whose odd behaviour and dream of becoming an animator makes him the shame of his career-minded father (Rip Torn). When he lands a job at a cheese sandwich factory, his concentration is quickly deterred by his impulsive habits of skateboarding through malls and manually masturbating horses. Good taste is obviously a non-issue, but there's an underlying sweetness that prevents the humour from being very hurtful. Within the scatology, Green (who's also the director and co-writer) structures a fairly honest thesis about the fear of losing one's individuality to responsibility and adulthood. It's no accident that the film's most likeable character is Gord's sexually-deviant, wheelchair-bound girlfriend. For all its leaps of the insane imagination, a little of Freddy Got Fingered goes a long way. Its caustic energy occasionally becomes tiresome, but the movie provides the big laughs and jolts its title suggests without ever selling out or playing safe.

From another thread:

Part of what makes the horse scene in FGF a joke is that it does have absolutely no relevance to anything. The first reaction is usually "what the hell was that" whether you laugh afterward is up to you (though Green's gleeful expression is what made the scene work for me). FGF shouldn't really be compared with Jay and Silent Bob anyway. Green's film is a Dadaistic send-up of America's moral hypocrisy and gross-out comedies in general--"You thought Scary Movie was extreme, let's see how you react when we take it to THIS level!" Though FGF follows the typical narrative of most teen and gross-out films, it manages to ridicule them along the way. This is well expressed in the scene near the end where Gord makes amends with his father which, well somewhat saccharine, is played out as his father is drenched in elephant cum. But FGF is NOT a work of anomie. While it wields a genuine punk-aesthetic, the film is strongly moral. When was the last time any supposedly serious film bothered to assign a libido to a disabled character? Never. And yet Freddy crosses the line by doing so? I just feel I've gotta stand up for this picture when most other critics are reacting like Tom Green broke into their homes and raped their pets.

Mark

9. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Actor

I haven't seen the movie (nor do I have any intention of seeing it), but I was amused during one of my recent visits to Blockbuster when I was talking to the clerk behind the counter. We were chatting about some of the extra features available on DVD, and he cited the commentary track for Freddy Got Fingered as an excellent example of the "cool" extras on DVD. Needless to say that recommendation didn't convince me to check out the movie (or the commentary track), but at least I was encouraged that a Blockbuster employee knew about some of the DVD features we've all come to enjoy. I wouldn't necessarily trust his critical judgement, but at least he could say something good about DVD.

Steve K.

10. Rob_C

Rob_C Stunt Coordinator

The commentary was quite funny. Tom talks the entire time without much pause. One of the better commentaries I've heard in a while (for a comedy anyway)

11. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

12. Mark Palermo

Mark Palermo Second Unit

Come on Jason, even you'd admit that would make an entertaining sequel. Maybe Ebert would agree to play Green's adversary.

Mark

13. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

Saw this yesterday. All I can say is: [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

I will have to admit that there was A funny scene in this movie. And by A, I mean just ONE funny scene. That was the scene where Tom Green's character is in the resturant with the "cell phone."
    The rest of the movie is crap, but I found that scene to be hilarious.
    Then again, what do I know, I liked Van Wilder. [​IMG]
    But then again, I didn't like Resident Evil so I think that makes up for the whole liking Van Wilder. [​IMG]

15. Mark C Sherman

Mark C Sherman Second Unit

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    NUFF SAID

16. Jeff Pryor

Jeff Pryor Supporting Actor

I laughed my ass off, but what do I know? I'm just an armchair critic.

17. Ross Williams

Ross Williams Supporting Actor

I really think this film became the critics whipping boy. Once a few said it was the worst film of the year, it was easy for everybody else to jump on the bandwagon. It's really not that bad, mearly offensive. At the least, it's original. While most comedies are recycling the same jokes over and over, Tom Green set out to do something totally different. I'd say he succeded.

Comedy is completely subjective. Something that is plain stupid to one person, may be hilarious to another. While I was disgusted by much of this movie, I know it kept me laughing more than most comedies I've seen in the last few years.

18. Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck Screenwriter

Bryan Tuck
    Comedy is subjective. You laugh at what you laugh at, I guess. I didn't laugh at FGF; I don't mean to sound snobbish; I just didn't think it was funny.

19. Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham Screenwriter

I thought Freddy Got Fingered was probably the funniest comedy I watched all year. It's not hard to see why critics bashed it (and that's putting it lightly) but I thought the movie accomplished exactly what it set out to do, actually, it succeeded with flying colors.

After watching garbage like Super Troopers, Van Wilder, etc., it's refreshing to watch a movie that actually makes me laugh till it hurts.

20. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

[​IMG]
    Yeah, that's it. We all know that critics are lemmings, fully prepared to just echo the opinions of someone else.
    Mmmmmmmmmmmaybe....
    The movie is an amateurish, obnoxious and woefully UNfunny experiment.
    Just like Tom Green.