Is FF XI online good or craappy?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Neil_MacD, Feb 4, 2004.

1. Neil_MacD

Neil_MacD Auditioning

Hello, I am new to the forums here. I actually started this account for 2 reasons:
    1) HT is my favorite hobby and past time.
    2) Star Wars is my fav movies, hence I am a big fan of Galaxies as well.

I have been playing Final Fantasy (FF) games since the first one on NES.
    Can somebody(some peeps) please p[ost if FF XI is worth the $$. Is it as good as SW Galaxies? and are there any elements in the game from the old ones (Like Cid the engineer)?

2. James_Kiang

James_Kiang Screenwriter

Hi Neil. Welcome to the forum. I still have an active SWG account, though it has been over a week since I've logged. February is looking like my last month there, mainly because I have some other things taking up my time (and hopefully WoW beta will be another thing [​IMG]).

I recently cancelled my FFXI subscription after playing for a few months. My brother was playing FFXI as well and just recently cancelled; he was able to spend a lot more time with it and considers it his favorite MMORPG yet.

I would say you need to have one thing in order to make FFXI a rewarding experience: TIME! It takes a long time to get things done in the game, from getting from place to place to getting a good group together and so on.

I did like the jobs the game allows you to play. Unfortunately, in all those months the highest I was able to achieve was level 12 (this was with limited play time of course). At that point, it did take a while to even get to places where I could get decent experience, and grouping seemed to help a lot (though finding a good group can be hard). There are plenty of things that are reminiscent of previous FF games.

Whether FFXI is as good/better/not as good as SWG is something you will have to find out for yourself. There is crafting, but I like the SWG system more. Also, while it is important to group in FFXI I felt more of a community from SWG.

3. Kong Chang

Kong Chang Screenwriter

I cancelled my SWG account for FFXI. I actually enjoy FFXI more because it's more established than SWG so there is not much nerfing in the near future that I can still see, unlike SWG which still nerfs a lot of their gameplay.

I highly recommend FFXI, but yeah, along with James Kiang, after level 13, you MUST group. It is hard to level up quickly w/o grouping. Group is limited to 6 players at once. Trust me, you'll so enjoy the game play. The world is vast and there is a lot of running (a la Everquest) but money is easier to make on FFXI than on SWG. And the great part is that you can build any jobs you want w/o losing your levels, for that particular job, if you switch (albeit you'll still be put back to level 1 stats for the new job when you do switch)...unlike SWG if you switch, you have to give up your skill points and all the xps you gained for it too.

4. Woo Jae

Woo Jae Screenwriter

Playing FFXI on the PS2 here, and its a very time consuming game. That said, all the skills are very well integrated, and there is a story(!).

5. Tom Oh

Tom Oh Second Unit

I have played FFXI for almost 2 years now. It is time consuming and can be frustrating at times. If you don't have the time, I say pass on the game. My main job is still only RDM68. I play to improve my Japanese and because of my Japanese friends on my linkshell.