What's new

Is FAMILY GUY or FUTURAMA really coming back? (1 Viewer)

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
[the professor]good news, everyone![/the professor]

i would really like to see some direct to dvd movies, i'd buy them all for sure. very underappreciated, great series.

but as much as i LOVE futurama, i dont know if i want to see any new televised episodes. the series ended perfectly. after the last scene, nothing more is necessary.

CJ

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

I agree. I too would rather see this done as DVD-Movies (ala BTAS).

Daily Variety first broke this story, so there must be some serious talk going on about bringing the show back. Perhaps Comedy Central is interested in spicing its pot of rerun episodes (starting in 2008, IIRC - CN has it until then) with some brand new episodes. I don't seriously think this will end up at Fox, even though their production arm is responsible for the series. The lead time on making new episodes must be considerable considering its mix of traditional and CGI animation.

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
That is cool that there is another tie-in with Al Gore. Al did a good job on the one episode of the "What if?" machine. That and the fact that Gary Gygax was in it made it so damn funny.

"Here. You can use my +1 mace!"

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Back in May Billy West confirmed Futurama was coming back.

"[The] Futurama project is a done deal! [...] There are 4 DVD movies that we'll start recording at the end of July or August. Full feature length FUTURAMA movies. Everybody is excited to get back together--as I am!Into the Future,Billy"

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
I knew that Futurama movies were in the works, but I never imagined the series itself would return. That's excellent news; I'm very happy to hear it.

Looking forward to Futurama's return in 2008, hopefully to stay, and maintain its quality.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
I'm hoping this is accurate, but the New York Post article seems to be using Katey Sagal's comments as the source of the confirmation. It doesn't contain any other sources for their information. Although one thing that is encouraging is Katey said 13 ro 16 episodes, but the article seems difinitive at 13.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

The post article seems to be more detailed that what would have been said by Segal on a talk show (I didn't see it, but I'm guessing) The post mentioned that deals have been inked and that sounds like more that speculation. I read it as if Segal's comments simply confirmed the story that they already had.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
I'm concerned with Futurama going to Comedy Central. I watch Adult Swim [as] more than I watch the specific shows that they air because of when it is on and the group of shows. [as] puts together a set of shows that are more adult oriented and similar enough genres so I give whatever new show they put on a chance. If I don't like it (there are a bunch) then I do something else and then come back after it is done. I have only seen one of the new Family Guy episodes on Fox because FG isn't enough by itself for me to change my viewing habits. All the others I have seen on [as] because that is what I watch.

While I am sure I am in the minority of viewing habits, I am willing to predict that Futurama's ratings on CC with be at least 25% lower than if they kept it on [as]. Its too bad that the network that gave the show a new audience and life is no longer going to be allowed to show it.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
I'd think Futurama would do well with Southpark on CC. I'd have no problem with it being on Adult Swim either as it is a show I would actively seak out to view. So to me, it really doesn't matter where it is, as long as it is on and they actualy advertise when. Something Fox consistently failed to do.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
Comedy Central has spoken! The article states that they have given the greenlight to a new 13 episode season of Futurama to air in 2008 when they gain control of the back catalog.

I wonder what this means for the 4 DTV movies that have been bandied about? Will this deal kill them?

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't be surprised if 12 of the episodes were the 4 movies each split up into three episodes. That's what Fox pulled with the (crappy) "Family Guy" movie.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

That makes the most sense, although I'm sure we'd all like to see 13 episodes AND four movies.

Either way, glad to hear the show is coming back.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks