What's new

Is excessive humidity a problem for HT equipment? (1 Viewer)

Nathan Gillmore

Stunt Coordinator
I hope this is the right forum to post this is... Anyhoo, here's my problem, I need to have a humidifier running in my living room/HT room for a variety of health reasons. I set up one up and everything was fine until yesterday when I noticed a thin film left on some of my dvd cases and on the drawer of my dvd player in my equipment rack, around 12 feet from the humidifier.

Now, naturally I paniced and turned the thing off for fear of frying my receiver, etc. Is this fear unfounded? Does too much humidity lead to fried electronics? I've searched around and couldn't find a definitive answer.

Any help you all could give would be appreciated. Could be I can just run the thing turned down on low, but I'm afraid to turn it back on...

Jason GT

Second Unit
A humid atmosphere is never the best for electronics. The only advice I can give is that your user manual(s) will almost certainly say "avoid humid environments". that should be your answer.

douglas-b

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Douglas Berry
You need to go to Radio Shack and get a digital thermometer that also reads the rooms humidity. 40% to 50% humidity in a room is the desired comfort range. If your getting condensation it must be much higher than that. you should also look into a humidifier that automatically shuts off at specific humidity settings. Mine cost $60.00 and it handles my whole house.

John S

Senior HTF Member
yes, electronics are best in moderate climates, with not overly humid or real dry tendencies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks