What's new

Is eFilmCritic.com officially closed down? (1 Viewer)

Indy Guy

Premium
Real Name
Tony Baxter
For 2 months I have tried to access the long standing site... eFilmCritic.com and it no longer opens. No information is given and doing a web search brings nothing either.
I liked cross referencing their release schedule as I often found titles listed that were found nowhere else.
Any information one way or the other would help me put this to rest!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It appears that way. The companion site is gone as well.

I wrote for them for a short time when I was considering a career change. I eventually made a change, but when the possibility of going the critic route became a real thing, and I was looking at my first press passes to a film festival, I came to my senses and realized that was not going to be a stable way to make a living. Also, from the inside it never seemed like a solid platform. I found it rather unsettling behind the scenes.

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
It appears that way. The companion site is gone as well.

I wrote for them for a short time when I was considering a career change. I eventually made a change, but when the possibility of going the critic route became a real thing, and I was looking at my first press passes to a film festival, I came to my senses and realized that was not going to be a stable way to make a living. Also, from the inside it never seemed like a solid platform. I found it rather unsettling behind the scenes.
Having once dabbled with the same career idea, but never gotten as far as you, I am curious what danger signs you saw that made you think twice.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Having once dabbled with the same career idea, but never gotten as far as you, I am curious what danger signs you saw that made you think twice.
The main problem is I had completely burned out and wanted a new way to make a living income, not just a side gig. It just wasn't realistic to expect it to ever be that, and certainly not in a reasonable amount of time. The decision point was when I received those press passes, which got me to sit down and be realistic. They were actually very understanding when I told them "Thanks, but I just can't devote that much time and energy to this." As far as behind the scenes, the site just didn't seem especially professional.

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
The main problem is I had completely burned out and wanted a new way to make a living income, not just a side gig. It just wasn't realistic to expect it to ever be that, and certainly not in a reasonable amount of time. The decision point was when I received those press passes, which got me to sit down and be realistic. They were actually very understanding when I told them "Thanks, but I just can't devote that much time and energy to this." As far as behind the scenes, the site just didn't seem especially professional.
I see. Interesting. Yeah, I'm not sure how it is now, but there used to be dozens and dozens of movie review sites. It was hard to imagine anyone could really make a living doing it.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The companion site is gone as well.
That wouldn't happen to be hollywoodbitchslap.com, would it?

That site, which I have used for MANY years to help compile my Weekly RoundUps, seems to have disappeared without a trace. I can't find any reference to it anywhere. The proprietor was Erik Childress--a long inactive member of the HTF.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That wouldn't happen to be hollywoodbitchslap.com, would it?

That site, which I have used for MANY years to help compile my Weekly RoundUps, seems to have disappeared without a trace. I can't find any reference to it anywhere. The proprietor was Erik Childress--a long inactive member of the HTF.
That's the one. As I recall, it was Australian and EFC was here, but they both had the same content. At least they did back in the day.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I see. Interesting. Yeah, I'm not sure how it is now, but there used to be dozens and dozens of movie review sites. It was hard to imagine anyone could really make a living doing it.

(More generally).

The more I have read about how freelance writers do their work, the more I realized it was based entirely on quantity of output (adjusted for quality of writing). To the point of "burnout" for some semi-professional writers who get published semi-regularly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lukeholland
Recent bookmarks