Is EDGE magazine worth it for the US gamer?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chad Ellinger, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Chad Ellinger

Chad Ellinger Second Unit

Ever since my beloved NextGen went under, I've been desperately searching for a worthy, mature, well-written successor. I've heard a lot of good things about Edge, but I know that it's based in the UK. Does their coverage focus on the European market, or do they cover the US and Japan as well? Unfortunately, none of the bookstores around here carry it so I can't check it out for myself. Are there any other decent videogame mags in the US?

2. BrianB

BrianB Producer

There's not a US mag like it. It covers a lot of Japanese releases, and it covers "up and coming" games from around the world.

3. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

Really quality games magazine. It's the only one I ever buy. Leagues ahead of all other competitors. It covers Japanese and US markets as much as it does the European market. Well worth it.

4. BrianB

BrianB Producer

What other magazine on the planet has a monthly column from the creator of Super Monkey Ball, for example?

5. Chad Ellinger

Chad Ellinger Second Unit

Holy crap! $90 for a 13-month subscription [​IMG] Guess I'll have to keep looking.

6. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Each issue is $6 retail. 13 * 6 = 78. Edge isn't bulk shipped like mainstream mags, so each issue is effectively airmailed to you. That's not cheap for mags.

7. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Goodness. Been AGES since I read Edge... years and years. I may have to grab the latest issue at some point, see how they've progressed.

Dan

8. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

9. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Hey, I'll do just that if my damn copy of the game arrives by the weekend, Paul... [​IMG] I'll definately grab the latest issue soon though.
    Dan

10. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

mumblemumblemumble....grrrr

Sorry, this month's (of all months, the one with the Sunshine and Medieval: Total War reviews in) subscription copy went missing in the post. Its a glorious mag though.