Is E.T. really limited? It sounds like it.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave H, Dec 30, 2002.

1. Dave H

Dave H Producer

According to DVD Talk:
    "Many companies throw around the term 'Limited Edition' so willy nilly it's hard to know when they really mean it. Well we got word from a Best Buy Manager that on December 31st they are pulling the copies of ET OFF THE SHELVES. We also visited several other local stores (ie Borders, Suncoast) and found that they were already OUT of the Widescreen edition. So if you're planning on picking up ET - The Extra Terrestrial we STRONGLY advise you to place your order before December 31st! DeepDiscountDVD has a fantastic deal on ET - The Extra Terrestrial: $20.89 with free shipping. Don't kick yourself for missing out on getting this DVD before it's gone. "
    Maybe I should buy a few copies and selling them on Ebay for good money in a year. I sold Weird Science for 66.00 on there recently and Scarface for 56.00. [​IMG]

2. Chris Hopper

Chris Hopper Agent

It will be back, it is just a way for the companies to make mass money at once. People think it will be gone for good, but it will be re-released again in about 5 years with better, more advanced features. Disney does it all the time, or at least did with VHS. How many times did we hear "Last chance EVER to own the Little Mermaid"?

3. Brenton

Brenton Screenwriter

The following quote is from a hilarious "TV Funhouse" cartoon on Saturday Night Live called "Bambi 2002":
    "A Disney Classic is going away. [clip of Bambi's mother being shot] Walt Disney's Bambi is going into the Disney Vault for ten years, depriving your child or future children of a significant emotional milestone. [sound effect of gunshot] After May 27, Bambi will be taken out of stores, placed in a security box, and frozen next to Walt Disney's head."

4. Robert_eb

Robert_eb Supporting Actor

5. Declan

Declan Second Unit

The writer who made that up must have just came off Family Guy.

6. Tom Ryan

Tom Ryan Screenwriter

As I recall, all the press releases mentioned that E.T. would only be available for something like 10 weeks, so it looks like it's yanking time.

7. Tom Ryan

Tom Ryan Screenwriter

8. Travis D

Travis D Second Unit

And once they are yanked off shelves, they will be steamrolled.
    [​IMG]

9. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

Nothing beats tossing untold $$ in E.T. sales right out the window, huh?
    Why on Earth would EVERY single E.T. be pulled and destroyed just to satisfy a specific pre-determined deadline?
    What a huge waste of who knows how many thousands of bucks!!! Ridiculous!
    What's the harm in selling existing stock?
    I understand not making any more copies after a certain date....but pulling existing copies and scrapping them is foolish! (Just think of all those starving children in foreign lands. Er...wait...wrong argument. Bet some of those kids would like to see E.T. though.) [​IMG]

10. Jussi Tarvainen

Jussi Tarvainen Second Unit

Well, I guess we'll have to live with it... Can't wait for the 30th Anniversary!

11. Richard Waller

Richard Waller Second Unit

Even Disney doesn't have titles pulled off the shelves when they go into moratorium. They just let retailers sell off their existing stock.
    Universal [​IMG] Worst. Studio. Ever.

12. Christopher_J_F

Christopher_J_F Stunt Coordinator

Maybe they will bury them next to the Atari 2600 cartriges in the desert...
    [​IMG]

13. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard Screenwriter

Joshua Clinard
    I doubt all stores are going to pull the stock. It might just be limited to that one store. It would be stupid to do that.

14. Bill J

Bill J Producer

Travis, [​IMG]
    If they do get pulled from shelves, there will always be stores like FYE (VERY overpriced, I know) that have them on shelves for another year or so.

15. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

Well I was at Wal-Mart today they only had the Full Screen left but they had a few gift sets. But for $64 I'm passing!

I'll check next week again.

16. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    They're not pulling any copies off the shelves. Orders are no longer being taken or filled on ET, but the store is free to do whatever it wants with the copies that it already stocks.

17. Tim RH

Tim RH Second Unit

I hope they're not going to bury all the unopened copies in the ground like they did that old Atari E.T. game! [​IMG]

18. Nathan*W

Nathan*W Screenwriter

Nathan

19. Ian_H

Ian_H Supporting Actor

Maybe Disney did that at thier own stores but I worked for the two largest music/video chains (Transworld and Musicland) and we would just sell through what we had in the warehouse. Disney would just stop taking orders on the titles and we would have stuff for a couple of years after the moratorium date. As the stock got thinnner and thinner we would raise the selling price.

-iAN

20. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    not going to be pulled off the shelves.

snow white is still on shelves and that was the same deal. e.t. will not be able to be re-ordered by stores after the last date.