What's new

Is E.T. really limited? It sounds like it. (1 Viewer)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
According to DVD Talk:
"Many companies throw around the term 'Limited Edition' so willy nilly it's hard to know when they really mean it. Well we got word from a Best Buy Manager that on December 31st they are pulling the copies of ET OFF THE SHELVES. We also visited several other local stores (ie Borders, Suncoast) and found that they were already OUT of the Widescreen edition. So if you're planning on picking up ET - The Extra Terrestrial we STRONGLY advise you to place your order before December 31st! DeepDiscountDVD has a fantastic deal on ET - The Extra Terrestrial: $20.89 with free shipping. Don't kick yourself for missing out on getting this DVD before it's gone. "
Maybe I should buy a few copies and selling them on Ebay for good money in a year. I sold Weird Science for 66.00 on there recently and Scarface for 56.00. :)

Chris Hopper

Agent
It will be back, it is just a way for the companies to make mass money at once. People think it will be gone for good, but it will be re-released again in about 5 years with better, more advanced features. Disney does it all the time, or at least did with VHS. How many times did we hear "Last chance EVER to own the Little Mermaid"?

Brenton

Screenwriter
The following quote is from a hilarious "TV Funhouse" cartoon on Saturday Night Live called "Bambi 2002":
"A Disney Classic is going away. [clip of Bambi's mother being shot] Walt Disney's Bambi is going into the Disney Vault for ten years, depriving your child or future children of a significant emotional milestone. [sound effect of gunshot] After May 27, Bambi will be taken out of stores, placed in a security box, and frozen next to Walt Disney's head."

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
As I recall, all the press releases mentioned that E.T. would only be available for something like 10 weeks, so it looks like it's yanking time.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Nothing beats tossing untold $$ in E.T. sales right out the window, huh?
Why on Earth would EVERY single E.T. be pulled and destroyed just to satisfy a specific pre-determined deadline?
What a huge waste of who knows how many thousands of bucks!!! Ridiculous!
What's the harm in selling existing stock?
I understand not making any more copies after a certain date....but pulling existing copies and scrapping them is foolish! (Just think of all those starving children in foreign lands. Er...wait...wrong argument. Bet some of those kids would like to see E.T. though.) :)

Richard Waller

Second Unit
Even Disney doesn't have titles pulled off the shelves when they go into moratorium. They just let retailers sell off their existing stock.
Universal :thumbsdown: Worst. Studio. Ever.

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
Travis, :laugh:
If they do get pulled from shelves, there will always be stores like FYE (VERY overpriced, I know) that have them on shelves for another year or so.

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
Well I was at Wal-Mart today they only had the Full Screen left but they had a few gift sets. But for $64 I'm passing!

I'll check next week again.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
They're not pulling any copies off the shelves. Orders are no longer being taken or filled on ET, but the store is free to do whatever it wants with the copies that it already stocks.

Tim RH

Second Unit
I hope they're not going to bury all the unopened copies in the ground like they did that old Atari E.T. game! ;)

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
Even Disney doesn't have titles pulled off the shelves when they go into moratorium. They just let retailers sell off their existing stock.
Hate to disagree with you Richard, but that is exactly what Disney does, or at least used to do. (in relation to their own stores) My wife worked for The Disney Store for a number of years and would routinely pull moratorium product and ship it out on the date specified per Disney instructions.

Ian_H

Supporting Actor
Maybe Disney did that at thier own stores but I worked for the two largest music/video chains (Transworld and Musicland) and we would just sell through what we had in the warehouse. Disney would just stop taking orders on the titles and we would have stuff for a couple of years after the moratorium date. As the stock got thinnner and thinner we would raise the selling price.

-iAN

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
not going to be pulled off the shelves.

snow white is still on shelves and that was the same deal. e.t. will not be able to be re-ordered by stores after the last date.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks