Is DVR for me?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by BenSC, Oct 1, 2003.

1. BenSC

BenSC Stunt Coordinator

I'm in a debate on looking into a DVR (Tivo/ReplayTV, or what have you). I'm actually satisfied with my current VCR recording setup other than a few things. I've got a Sony Sat B-50 that controls my JVC VCR by way of an IR repeater. I just use the satelite guide to select a show, tell the B-50 to record, and whala, it turns the VCR on and tapes.

I would like to go digital for a number of reasons, and the DVR would require:
    1) Not having to fast forward/rewind, I'd like a list of recordings
    2) Being able to extract video to media using a computer. I'm pretty sure most all systems out there have a hack for this.
    3) I'd like to still be able to record on demand, I.E. press record, pause, record, stop, etc.

Now this being said, can I get away with a DVR that doesn't require a connection to a server somewhere, that actually functions just like a VCR and can be controled by the IR attachment on my B-50?

Also, I've read that since I have DirecTV, a unit with built in Tivo will yield better quality due to it just storing what comes through the satelite. If I went this route, and then later switched to digital cable, could I use this unit as a standalone unit without DirecTV?

Thanks for the help.

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert

3. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

4. Quinn

Quinn Stunt Coordinator

5. BenSC

BenSC Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for all your help guys. I'm still in a heated debate over the Tivo/ReplayTV route, or building a MythTV box (basically a linux box with an MPEG2 encoder card running software that aquires guides and can change the channel on your sat receiver, so in an escense, a Tivo unit).

Now that I've found this peice of software, since I already have a TVcapture card and know where to get silent power supplies/etc, I may go that route.