What's new

Is DVI really that new? (1 Viewer)

Josh_SR

Stunt Coordinator
Sup peeps...

why is it when i goto a electronic store and ask for a dvi cable.... EVERYONE will say "dvi? i have never heard of dvi" and that is at alot of electronic stores such as cc, best buy, radio shack, abc warehouse, ect.... even when i call comcast and ask how to enable the dvi output on my cable box... 2 techs said that thay have never heard of dvi... so how new is this connection?

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I think it just started appearing on last years models. And some of the copy-protection issues are still being ironed out.

I heard Mitsubishi was providing FireWire inputs before 2003 and they just switched to DVI with this years models.

Here is another issue: find a source with DVI. There are only a handfull and on devices like your CATV-HD decoder, they are usually not enabled (until the copy-protection issues are ironed out and new firmware is created then released to the CATV companies). I'm guessing about 2 years from now you MIGHT see it.

DVI is a good idea, but it wont really be 'here' until:

- Televisions offer more than 1 DVI input
- More sources are available

Josh_SR

Stunt Coordinator
i called comcast the other day asking how i could enable the dvi..... thay said at the end of this year thay will update there box software to enable the dvi but only at the end of the year....so no dvi for now :frowning:

Paul Seyfarth

Stunt Coordinator
you would think they would have atleast heard of it, I have a computer that is quite a few years old and it has a dvi port.

Josh_SR

Stunt Coordinator
yeah my video card has a dvi output to....maybe ill hook it up just to see how it looks.. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks