Is DVI really that good?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Torgny Nilsson, Jan 7, 2004.

1. Torgny Nilsson

Torgny Nilsson Second Unit

What is the deal with DVI? It sounds great, but it is really that much better than a progressive scan player?

I am inclined to buy a $2,700 DLP FP package (with screen) without a DVI input rather than a $3,500 DLP RPTV with a DVI input. I think I will get more out of the FP's 100 inch screen than the RPTV's 43 inch screen, even without a DVI option with the FP.

Any advice or thoughts? Is DVI really worth spending more and getting a much smaller picture?

2. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

Definitely maybe [​IMG] DVI might not even be the standard when the dust finally settles. HDMI seems to be more of a future proof connection but at least is backwards compatable with DVI. HDCP over either input seems (at this time anyway) just as important as the connection itself.

Mort

3. Shane Morales

Shane Morales Second Unit

I don't think so. I'm not a guru or anything, but I have a Samsung DLP w/ DVI and I've used it with DVI and component. I really couldn't tell that much of a difference. I did these comparisons with and without the TV doing the deinterlacing (different story).

Can't you try it out both ways and then decide?

4. Torgny Nilsson

Torgny Nilsson Second Unit

No, I can't find any store that has them both, or that even has a DVI player hooked up to a TV. So I will just have to decide on one and go for it. I will probably go for the FP as it is 1/3 cheaper and gives me a much bigger picture.

5. JohnFelty

JohnFelty Auditioning

Here's an issue I haven't seen discussed: DVI cable is very expensive and not available in the lengths you need to hook up to a direct-projection system. I need at least 30', and is appears DVI cable is sold in a max of 5 meter lengths. ???

HDMI appears to be worse. Very little available.

6. DavidDon

DavidDon Stunt Coordinator

I will start this by saying that I have no direct experience with DVI cable lengths...but the link below is to one company that claims up to 50 foot lengths of their cable will work well. DVD ETC. verified this using a Bravo player...I think.

http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/DVI_cables.html

Better cables is also selling longer lengths.

Check out this thread too:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...32#post1987132

We have been talking about the DVI cable length issue. I am in the same boat - on the verge on running a 25-30' DVI length.The prices I thought are darned cheap considering really good component cables can be $200 for a one meter length.

One more thing to consider with the RPTV and the FP set-up...It is much easier to upgrade the FP because of its physical size. You can sell it (even if it is for a big loss) if you decide you want something nicer down the road. Try selling a RPTV when it's used...then ship it somewhere.

Furthermore - When I went through the same decision as you are now, my big concern was room lighting. I did not feel the FP would be practical if the room had to be dark in order to view it. So I went out and bought the huge 61" Sammy DLP RPTV. Wouldn't you know it...on the opposite side of my room are windows...those windows created such a bad reflection on the big 61" screen, I had to close them all off with shades and darken the room.

I ended up returning the RPTV for that and PQ issues for a FP...and it's awesome.

7. Paul_Ptaaty

Paul_Ptaaty Stunt Coordinator

David,

All you had to do was remove the protective (glare) screen! [​IMG]

Many people have the glare problem with RPTVs...so much so that Mits has theirs "user removeable" in less than 5 minutes. then viewable with bright rooms with windows....not that I wouldn't use a FP if I had the room for it.

Anyway, DVI is pretty nice because it allows flexibility. It is hard to find an A/V source that passes high res over components. Also there is zero picture degradation (I don't think my cables are degrading anything anyway)

HDMI is supposed to be able to handle longer run lengths than DVI.

Also instead of checking out RAM for cables, try bluejeanscable.com I think they are identical, except cheaper. They offer a great return policy as well.

8. DavidDon

I would have just gotten the cold sweats if my issue centered on the glare, but there were other issues too.

9. DavidDon

Paul,

I just went to bluejeans and did not see any DVI. Can you provide a direct link?

10. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

One quick point to make...

DVI and HDMI are compatible with one another. HDMI is a superset of DVI, and all you need to interoperate are appropriately terminated cables.

HDMI has a longer maximum cable length run, and if you mix the two, the DVI cable length max will be in effect.

I run an 8m DVI cable with no problems.

Cheers,

11. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

I have never been able to figure out - what is the difference between DVI and SDI? Both are digital inputs and outputs, but that's almost as much as I know.

12. Paul_Ptaaty

Paul_Ptaaty Stunt Coordinator

Sorry David!

When I was shopping for components I noticed RAM and Bluejeans looked similar....I didn't realize they didn't have DVI, just RGBHV and HD15.

I could have sworn that someone had emailed bluejeans and they made a DVI cable as well. It is something to try, sorry about leading you astray (I am a little groggy that early in the morning)

Good luck.

13. DavidDon

Paul - No biggy, I have been looking into a lot of companies which get actual recommendations. It never hurts to look.

Alan - I believe DVI has some Copy Protections attached, but I am not sure about SDI. Also, a DVD player cannot output a 480 i/p signal from a DVI out (so I am told) due to the definition or protocol of DVI. It must be of some higher resolution. SDI apparently can output a purely digital 480i or 540i signal which is supposed to be the best for an outboard de-interlacer/scaler.

I really hope someone comments on the above statement/question because I too am looking for clarification. The above could be completely wrong.

14. DavidDon

Hey, one more thing, and relative to the original post. DVI does not carry any audio where HDMI does. So, if you are running a FP, then HDMI is not really needed, just the digital video since your processor should be handling the audio.

15. JohnFelty

JohnFelty Auditioning

Further to the comments from David on 30' length RAM DVI cable I just ordered this and I'll see if I get good results running it between my Samsung 931 and Sony VPL-HS20. The earlier comment was correct, this is very inexpensive stuff (about $130 with shipping). Thanks for the referral. I'll keep you posted on the results...

16. John_F

John_F Stunt Coordinator

I believe 480p is in the DVI spec, I won't comment on 480i as I've seen posts both ways.

In my opinion, as a couple of other posts have mentioned, I would want to get a display with a minimum of DVI/HDCP for future compatability/HD-DVD.

Good luck,
    John Flegert

17. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

John:

480i isn't in DVI, but is in HDMI....

Regards,

18. DavidDon

Somewhere in the discussion of the new DVDO HD scaler in the AVS Forum, Dale Adams of DVDO went over the DVI resolution issue. I can't recall it exactly, but I would trust what he had to say about a DVI connection carrying a 480 i or p signal. Honestly - I don't remember it clear enough to say anything without some doubt in my mind. Perhaps I should not have said anything to begin with.

Sorry if I caused some confusion.

That thread is now something like 23 or 26 pages. Too much for me to go through now.

Dave