Is DVDEmpire going out of business?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob McElfresh, Aug 6, 2001.

1. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Since Reel.com went south, I have been a steady customer of DVDEmprie. They have always done a great job.
    But I have slowed down my purchases a bit, and I am trying to do 1 order per month in the last few months (it's been a crappy release season).
    But I placed an order for about 6 disks several weeks ago, all of which should have been available at the end of July. The order status showed two of the titles in stock, but 4 others all said "will ship when orders arrive".
    This means that they never received their shipment. This is often the case when a company is having trouble paying their bills.
    Anyone else seeing funny delays or orders held up?
    These titles were like "Cat O' Nine Tales", Terry Pratchet's "Soul Music", a biography of Jane Austin and a chocolate/desert DVD. Not mainstream, but not totally obscure either.

2. Kevin Leonard

Kevin Leonard Supporting Actor

I wouldn't count on it.
    Those titles you mention are pretty obscure. This has happened to me twice:
    When I pre-ordered The Rutles, I had to wait nearly a week-and-a-half for them to ship it (then again, all e-tailers had this problem with this disc it seems).
    When I pre-ordered Traffik (the British version), it took a week for them to get it in stock AFTER everybody else had it.
    I think it's a matter of underestimating the tastes of the consumer. I mean, it makes sense to stock 1,000 copies of The Phantom Menace, but buying 1,000 copies of Cat O'Nine Tails doesn't make much business sense, does it?
    Besides, they've gotten nothing but praise as one of the best DVD retail sites out there. For them to go away would be a great loss.
    ------------------
    Have you ever noticed anyone driving slower than you is an idiot? And anyone driving faster than you is a maniac!! - George Carlin
    ICQ: 55259446 (or just search for "John Shaft"...can you dig?)

3. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

No, I think you can blame part of that on their software. (It has a few flaws in it). I have bought DVD's that were listed as available, and when I get my confirmation, it suddenly says 'on order'.
    I'm also not sure but suspect to the fact that they don't update it every day, and the weekends and Monday's are really bad sometimes. An example of this would be if I ordered a disk last Thursday that had a street date of tomorrow, and I find out on Monday evening that the release date has been delayed.
    Maybe they can chime in.
    Glenn

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I understand if I ordered something obscure near the release date that I might have to wait. But I tried to order a week or two in advance for things spread over the middle to the end of July.
    Oh well. Perhaps I was just impatient.

5. Nigel McN

Nigel McN Supporting Actor

just a note, pre-orders are 'ordered' well before the actual date a week or 2 isn't enough, I saw the flyer for Clerks TAS, I can't remember the exact pre-order date for it but it was closer to 4-6 weeks I think. so obviously a store has to look at orders at that point and judge what they think the demand will be like closer to the point of release and then adjust their order accordingly. I missed on Reboot #4 and I ordered a week before, the problem is its been 4 months and it hasn't come in stock!