What's new

Is DVD HDMI better? (1 Viewer)

Steve>JF

Agent
Not sure if my post belongs here. I'm going to buy a Samsung 42" (HL-S4266W) DLP TV and I was wondering what type of DVD player I should buy. I presently have a none-progressive scan player, so I know I need one with that capability, but do I want one with an HDMI output to connect to the input on the new TV? Is the picture going to be better? I need to run the audio through my receiver anyway and my receiver doesn't have HDMI connections.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Steve, most receivers don't have HDMI/DVI connectors as it's relatively new, but you can purchase adaptors which will basically allow you to pass the cables. I've had to resort to the same thing.

Anyways, the answer is yes, you should go pick up HDMI/DVI cables along with a good quality progressive scan player to connect to your new set. Remember that your source output is the foundation of your image though, so investing in a quality DVD player is first and foremost key. That said, depending on the player you chose to go with, it will most likely be the optimal route and you should notice a significant improvement in picture quality.

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
Your TV should do the deinterlacing as well so you don't need progressive but I would either get a HD player or upconverting DVD player. I didn't notice much improvement (if any) when I switched from component to HDMI in my HL-R6168W but if you have a player that converts to 1080i then HDMI is quite useful as CSS protected discs will only play at 480 over component.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks