Is DVD-Audio more likely to "skip"?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by SteveK, May 30, 2004.

1. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Actor

I recently purchased an inexpensive Panasonic DVD-F65 that plays DVD-Audio as well as DVD-Video and mp3/wma discs. Then I purchased my first DVD-A disc a short time later. Since the F65 only plays DVD-A in 2-channel format, that's the track I listened to. I was very disappointed when it skipped several times the first time I played it.

Since I've never had DVD-A before, I'm curious if DVD-A is more likely to skip than DVD-V or regular CD's. Do I need to clean it before I try to play it? Or perhaps the F65 isn't a very good DVD-Audio player. It's also possible I got a bad disc.

Is DVD-Audio more error-prone than other formats? Thanks in advance for any comments and insight.

Steve K.

2. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    I would not judge a whole format by one disc. DVD-As, however, can be authored in various ways. There have been reported issues with some of the players out there (e.g. Pioneer 563, Toshiba 4700) in some instances with certain software. I don't thing it is prone to more errors but there are several ways to author a disc and some may just have problems with certain players. In general, with most modest price gear, the more formats the machine reads, there is the potential that it could have problems with certain things. Are you able to play the DVD-V (e.g. DD or DTS track) portion of the DVD-A?

3. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Actor

Phil - I haven't tried it yet in my old Panasonic player, which would only be able to play the DD track. I'll have to give it a try. I realize that you can't judge a whole format by one disc, but it was a bit disappointing to have my first experience with DVD-A experience problems. Thanks for the suggestions and comments.

Steve K.

4. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Steve, does the new player have a group button on it or the remote? If so that is what you need to hit to change from a particular mix on many discs. Many discs that have a (discrete) stereo track in addition to the multi-channel one are placed in group 2. Group 1 in many cases defaults to the multi-channel (could be that is why your player is coughing?) mix. The groups that follow (e.g. 3, 4) are usually your DVD-V DD or DTS tracks. Some discs are authored to a newer spec that has the mixes on a single bitstream and the toggling between the mixes is done via use of the audio button (the same button you would use on a movie to change the audio).

FYI, Toshiba also just came out with a changer that is a universal player and $200 list. Have no idea if it is good or bad. The Pioneer 563 (which has DVD-A firmware problems that can be fixed for those units I've heard were manuf. before Feb.) is being blown out fairly cheap at places like Best Buy. Probably around $130 or perhaps less. It is a universal player as well but not a changer. Pioneer has a new model coming out that will be $200 list. Toshiba is also coming out with a universal player in June that is not a changer and is $180 list. The Toshiba 4900, which is a single disc DVD-V and DVD-A player (no SACD but it is multi-channel DVD-A) is being blown out at $70 at places like crutchfield.com and I'm sure others as well. If you got the thing at Costco and it does not work out, they have a liberal return policy and I just wanted to make you aware there are lots of choices that won't break the bank.

5. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Actor

Thanks, Phil. I'm seriously looking at a Toshiba to replace my aging Panasonic in my main system, as I want the DVD-A and SACD features. A changer is a bit less important, so I'll look both at multi- and single-disc models. It's good to know other brands are coming out with universal models also.

As far as the group button, I didn't see one, but I did ensure that I was using the 2-channel hi-res track. I'll have to try it again, and I'll also want to check out the DD track on my main system.

Thanks again for the comments.

Steve K.