Is DVD-audio different from "DTS DVD-audio/video"?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Scott Stephens, Oct 8, 2003.

1. Scott Stephens

Scott Stephens Stunt Coordinator

I'm new to the whole DVD-Audio game, so forgive me if this question is redundant or ignorant.

I just got a sampler disc from DTS that's coded as a "DVD-Audio/Video" release. I don't have a formally DVD-audio capable player (just a 2 year old basic Sony DVD player), yet the disc plays fine and all the audio tracks are audible.

Is this a "true" DVD-Audio disc, and are all DVD-audio discs like this, or is this just specific to the DTS releases (it seems like I read something about DTS music discs being playable through any DVD player that was DTS capable)? If I want to play DVD-audio discs, I thought I had to have a player that was specifically DVD-audio capable (like only SACD players can decode the SACD format--excluding the hybrid discs, of course).

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Part of the spec for DVD-Audio discs is backwards compatibility with DVD-Video players.

Every DVD-Audio should contain tracks playable in DVD-Video players, and of the titles I have (about 150) all of them contain DVD-Video compatible tracks.

Regards,

3. Scott Stephens

Thanks John. Do you mean that ALL of the tracks on the DVD-Audio discs will be compatible (playable) on DVD-Video players, or just some? I wasn't sure if that's what you were getting at in your post. Thanks.

4. Scott Stephens

Another question (to anyone)--since my DVD player is not specifically equipped for DVD-Audio, it's currently hooked up for audio using an optical cable. My SACD player, as you all know, has the 6 analog outputs. Will running the DVD-audio signal through my current setup (optical) decrease or have any effect on sound quality? And if I really want to take advantage of the DVD-audio format, should I upgrade to a player that is specifically equipped for DVD-audio, or should I just stick to my current DVD player?

Thanks again in advance for any help.

5. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

If your player is not equipped for DVD-Audio, it will not play DVD-Audio content.

If it is equipped for DVD-Video, it should play the DVD-Video content found on (some? all?) DVD-Audio discs. This DVD-Video content may include PCM, Dolby Digital, or DTS sound.

6. Scott Stephens

Sorry to continue my thread of ignorance, but...

Is DVD-audio "content" the extra stuff found on the discs (interviews, liner notes, etc.)? I'm just wondering about the audio tracks. Thanks.

7. Dave Morton

Dave Morton Supporting Actor

Dave
    DVD-A is another format like SACD. It is a higher bitrate and thus contains more information for the sound as compared to regular cd's or dts. It is not extras or anything like that. Think of it as vinyl --> cassettes/8-track --> CD's ---> DVD-A/SACD

Just the next progression in audio formats.

8. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I think there is a bit of confusion here about the labeling, both on your disc and in this thread. It's important to distinguish between DVD audio, which is just the sound on any regular DVD (mono, Dolby Digitial, DTS) vs DVD-Audio, which is a new, high bit-rate format that requires a specially equipped player.

A DVD-Audio disc has their logo on it. Besides the high-res track that can only be accessed via a special player, they always come with additional tracks of the same music playable on regular DVD players. These tracks are Dolby Digital, DTS, or both. They just don't sound as good as the DVD-A tracks. And, of course, there are usually both stereo and surround versions of this stuff on the same disc.

If you put one of theses discs in a DVD-A player, it will play the DVD-A track. If you put it into a regular DVD player, it will play the Dolby or DTS track.

Note that there are also DTS CDs, which are basically DVDs with only a DTS surround track on it. And there are even DADs, which are high-res stereo audio-only DVDs playable on regular DVD players.

So, I don't know which kind you have, but my guess is that it's a DTS CD.

9. Scott Stephens

Thanks Mike. That answered most of my questions. My last question is for true DVD-A's, how do you know if it contains a separate DD or DTS track that would be audible on "regular" DVD players (or do they all have them)?

And the sampler disc I was talking about in my original post is a "DVD-Audio/Video" disc. That's where my original confusion came from (i.e. are all DVD-A's actually DVD-A/V's, etc.). Thanks again.

10. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

11. John Kotches

Here's the way the content is organized:

DVD-Video content
    VIDEO_TS directory

Contains backwards compatability tracks for DVD-Video only players. The contents of the .VOB Files will be:
    DD track or a Linear PCM track (Mandatory by spec, identical to DVD-Video requirements)
    Optionally a DTS track.

DVD-Audio content
    AUDIO_TS directory

Hi-res only playable on a DVD-Audio player. Can be multiple mixes.

There's a lot more about this in the DVD-A feature article I helped write when I was with Secrets of HT & HiFi,
    here.

Regards,

12. John Kotches

Mike,

My two TACET titles contain DVD-Video tracks for backwards compatibility.

Bach Six Brandenburg Concertos
    MozartThe Flute Quartets

Regards,

13. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

14. Scott Stephens

Thanks Mike and John.

Mike, I was confused also when I saw the label of the disc, but it actually says just that--it has the DVD logo with "Audio/Video" underneath. No kidding.

15. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I'm guessing then that it's not DVD-A, especially since it's a sampler from DTS, which many believe is trying to push its own sound format (even though they make a few DVD-A titles).

16. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

To make things more complicated, one of the subsidiaries of DTS (the company) makes both DTS "CDs" and DVD-Audio discs.

See the DTS Entertainment Web site. The page says that their DVD-Audio discs have MLP (DVD-Audio) and DTS (DVD-Video) tracks.

The discs presumably must also have either PCM tracks or Dolby Digital tracks (to comply with DVD-Video standards).

17. Darryl

Darryl Stunt Coordinator

Is this the DTS sampler disc that starts out with the Fabulous Thuderbirds? If so, it is indeed a true DVD-A disc.

All DVD-A discs have two (or more) copies of the same songs. One copy is playable on DVD Video players and is usually Dolby Digital 5.1. The other copy of the songs is only playable by DVD-A players and sounds better than the DVD-V version (or at least should). If your player is not DVD-A capable it will not even see the DVD-A version of the songs.

Sometimes the DVD-V and DVD-A portions of the disc do not have identical material. For example, the DVD-A content might include a song that's not available to a DVD-V player. It's pretty common for the DVD-A content to include a photo gallery that you can't see in a DVD-V player, but that's just fluff anyway.

18. John Kotches

The DVD Audio/Video logo is the correct logo.

The disc plays back in machines with DVD-Audio or DVD-Video capability.

Regards,

19. Scott Stephens

Thanks everyone; I think I finally have a handle on the situation!!