Is DTS a "failure?"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RichardMA, Jul 9, 2002.

1. RichardMA

RichardMA Second Unit

The reason I wonder about this is that there are very
    few (relative to total numbers, 13,000 or so) DVDs out there
    with DTS. I would have figured at least 10% of pre-existing DVDs would have to have DTS sound for it to be
    considered a success. I think the number is closer to
    1.5% right now. I don't know the number of DTS Cds though.
    Has Universal released all their films in DTS?

2. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter

Can Opened. Worms Everywhere.
    [​IMG]
    -Lyle J.P.

3. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

but when your talking about the most popular dvds don't a lot more feature DTS?

4. Corbin Stirn

Corbin Stirn Second Unit

(troll)[​IMG]

5. Craig Woodhall

Craig Woodhall Supporting Actor

All I can say is I wish ALL dvd's were DTS.. They sound much better on my system.. I don't know about 1.5%, but about 75% of my dvd's are DTS.. That doesn't sound like a failure to me [​IMG]

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    You MUST be kidding. That is a very narrow statement, at best.

Is THX a failure? Not so many THX mastered discs or certified components out there...

~90% of my favorite DVDs with respect to sound are DTS.

If I have the choice of a DTS or DD track, I will choose the DTS track without ever listening to the DD one.

I ALWAYS look to see if a particular disc has a DTS track or a DTS version is available.

There will be no more new DTS CD titles, they have been replaced by DVD-A. The DTS CDs I have heard are, for the most part, exceptional.

7. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

I put in Titan: AE the other day and was ready to be blown away. It didn't happen. I get up to make sure I have my receiver set correctly and notice that the DVD player was outputting DD. I press the audio select button on the remote and there was a world of difference. Yes, the DTS version was louder but I can "make" the DD version just as loud. No, the Dredge ships flying over sounded more crisp, the eart exploding was incredibly clear. By this I mean that it was not just loud but that sound effects took on believable shape rather than just random noise. I don't think DTS is a failure at all, but even if it were to become an "elitist" feature then count me among those that will support it.

Dan Hine

8. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

When I buy a DVD the first thing I look for is DTS audio. If it doesn't have it then I guess I'm stuck with DD, though not having DTS doesn't prevent me from buying it. No matter which audio version is on the disc I am constantly amazed with my little Home theater.

Kevin

9. John Garcia

John
    There is a very easy way to find out if DTS is a failure. Ask what the best sounding DVDs are... I guarantee that a large percentage will have or be the DTS versions of various discs. You can then view these discs and prove it to yourself [​IMG]
    DD is the standard, and there MUST be some version of Dolby present on a DVD, however that does not mean it is for some reason "better", and in many cases it is not.
    There are a number of factors, such as bitrate and mastering that affect the final outcome of how good a particular recording sounds. I personally find DTS to often be mastered with superior quality, though that does not mean that DD is inferior in every case. There are plenty of great DD DVDs out there.

10. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    It blows me away how quickly an innocent question about DTS is turned into a DD vs DTS thread!

The fact that only a small percent of DVDs have DTS on them in no way means DTS is a failure. I am just guessing but I would say easily sense the mid to late 90s 95% of all movies from Hollywood are sent out to theaters with a DTS option. That hardly appears to be a failure. for the past several years nearly 100% of DVD players, receivers and HT processors have the DTS logo on them again seems far fetched to be called it a failure.
    Not every motion picture company sees the need for two 5.1 digital formats on every disc at the moment. Lets also look at how many DVD are out there that do not come with a 5.1 track at all. And how many of those actually had a DTS theatrical release.

11. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

12. Craig Woodhall

Craig Woodhall Supporting Actor

13. Brian OK

Brian OK Supporting Actor

Richard,

Your forum entry date was early 2002. The fight to keep dts alive was back in 98-99, and into 2000. dts still raises hair, as evidenced by your suspect post. dts is here, prefered by more than most, and is so far from dead that your perspective is seriously skewed.
    Regroup. dts is doing quite well. DD, simply, comes up short for me. YMMV.

BOK

14. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

On the other hand though to the average consumer DTS isn't a big deal and they stopped putting out full bit rate titles. I'm a fan of DTS and do notice the sound differences on some titles but to be honest I've heard great mix's in both formats and I'd rather listen to a great DD mix then a so so DTS mix. Now that doesn't mean they're a failure but I do have to wonder what's in it for them at the consumer level? I mean there aren't any DTS only DVD's anymore so profits must be shared with DD and while there are difference between half bit rate DTS and DD it isn't large enough to sway the majority of consumers one way or another (IMO)

15. John Garcia

John

16. RichardMA

RichardMA Second Unit

I guess it comes down to perceived value. You can take
    DTS DVDs/DTS audio discs/SACD/DVD-audio/HDCD/Q Sound/XHCD(sp?)and all the other formats that have come around in the last 10 years or so and none of them (except DD)and plain old stereo (decoder to Pro-Logic or whatever) have achieved major market penetration into the market. You balance movies you like against the relatively meagre DTS offering and out of 13,000 discs, you might want a handful that are DTS. Yet we've paid for the encoders/preamps/receivers
    and players to decode DTS (and not SACD/DVD-audio)over
    and above the cost to just play DD and stereo. It's like
    owning a dvd player, and being told you can only play it
    1.5% of the time you own it, if you are really stuck only
    on playing discs with DTS on them. However, I'd guess pragmatism wins out and 99.99% of us will "stoop" to playing
    the DD soundtracks most DVDs have, just to have a good
    choice in the number of movies we see.
    I like DTS and if a larger percentage of DVDs had it, I would consider it to be in the same playing field as DD.
    Interesting when you consider theatrical DTS (which is a poor format, not as good as the home format) has a much higher penetration against Dolby than in the DVD format.

17. Mike Veroukis

Mike Veroukis Second Unit

Michael
    No, DTS is a huge success. Huge for the companies. They sell you the DD version and then 6 months later release the DTS version and you get to pay for it a second time! How could that be a failure?!?

Okay, so maybe I was a bit overly sarcastic... But it's true.

- Mike

18. Laurence_C

Laurence_C Stunt Coordinator

Laurence
    Gentlemen, Just a bit off the subject, DTS CD's?, how does one take advantage of DTS on a CD. Will my optical output on my old Sony ES cd player decode this? or does my new Panasonic DVD RP-91 know what to do with one? This is one of the untapped areas of Home Theater I haven't delved into as of yet. Please explain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've noticed that Best Buy has these DTS CD's mixed in with there DVD-Audio discs. What does this do for my sound since I've been using 5 channel stereo mode for awhile now??????

19. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Laurence,

DTS CD's are great! And yes, they can be played back either through a standard CD players optical output as well as a dvd player's digital out. And unlike 5channel stereo DTS CD's are 5.1 with 6 discrete channels. You owe it to yourself to try it out. My favorite DTS CD's are Police: Every Breath you take and Steely Dan: Gaucho

Enjoy!

Dan Hine

20. Laurence_C

Laurence_C Stunt Coordinator

Laurence
    Dan, I'm guessing that the optical bitstream from my old Sony ES CD Player or the coaxial output from my Panasonic DVD RP-91 will be processed by the DTS decoder in my receiver??????? If so this should be quite a treat for my ears. Is this how it works?????????? Will my receiver just automatically know how to process these bitstreams???