What's new

UHD Disney Is Finally Going UHD: Guardians of the Galaxy 2 UHD Pre-order Appears (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Right now I'd only be interested in UHD releases of 2D-only titles. With Marvel doing such an incredibly consistent job of providing quality 3D releases in theaters and at home, I'm wary of them jumping into a format which has resulted in most other studios who join in abandoning or curtailing their 3D output.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Right now I'd only be interested in UHD releases of 2D-only titles. With Marvel doing such an incredibly consistent job of providing quality 3D releases in theaters and at home, I'm wary of them jumping into a format which has resulted in most other studios who join in abandoning or curtailing their 3D output.

It will be really interesting to see what the initial uhd titles are. I'm guessing it will be all recent titles.

I should hold out on beauty and the beast this week. But I probably won't.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

If it makes you feel any better about not waiting, Beauty And The Beast wasn't shot with 4K cameras, and was completed as a 2K digital intermediate. So a UHD version wouldn't be fully 4K anyhow.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
If it makes you feel any better about not waiting, Beauty And The Beast wasn't shot with 4K cameras, and was completed as a 2K digital intermediate. So a UHD version wouldn't be fully 4K anyhow.

Said before resolution is such a small part of what 4K is all about. What about 10bit color, HDR, etc... All of those make the 4K disc much more then you will ever get on a Blu-ray.

I'm guessing we won't see a whole lot of titles this year anyway unless they have been sitting on them. I would guess maybe 2-3 titles if we are lucky.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Said before resolution is such a small part of what 4K is all about. What about 10bit color, HDR, etc... All of those make the 4K disc much more then you will ever get on a Blu-ray.

Perhaps the consortium should have simply referred to the format as "UHD" instead of "4K UHD" then - but by calling it "4K UHD", that opens up a perfectly fair and reasonable line of inquiry about whether the titles being released are actually "4K".

I'm also concerned about altering movies from the filmmaker's original vision simply for the sake of showing off the technical capabilities of new TV sets. There are lots of UHD discs coming out that have HDR on them, when the film wasn't released theatrically with HDR. Because Beauty And The Beast played in Dolby Vision and IMAX Laser, it did have a limited HDR release, but from what I understand, the HDR used at home is often different from what was used in theaters, so there's that concern, which I understand that many may not share.

And then, specifically in the case of Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2, this was intended to be a 3D film from the beginning, with director James Gunn commenting that the 3D effects were planned at the scripting stage. UHD is a format that only supports 2D. Since the writer/director has commented that 3D was even part of the screenwriting process, I consider it to be an essential part of the film's DNA, and have no interest in a version that is not in 3D.

I am not saying that UHD discs have no value, and I would be interested in future-proofing myself with UHD discs of titles that were released theatrically in 4K, 2D-only and with HDR. I am not as interested in UHD discs that can't replicate what was seen in theaters, and Guardians 2 would fall in that latter category for me.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
Perhaps the consortium should have simply referred to the format as "UHD" instead of "4K UHD" then - but by calling it "4K UHD", that opens up a perfectly fair and reasonable line of inquiry about whether the titles being released are actually "4K".

Maybe but this stuff is done for the average consumer not HT junkies... However, I would expect HT Junkies to look at the total presentation vs knocking every title because it has a 2K DI and/or 3D. Many people do not care for or see movies in 3D anymore, so just because the director is making sure the 3D people have a good presentation, doesn't mean that he didn't intend for anyone to see it in 2D. Heck there is maybe 2-3 theaters in my area that support HDR (HDR10/Dolby Vision), Atmos/DTS:X or 4K. Does that mean because I didn't go see it in one of the many formats every movie is released in, I should be limited to the one format you think is correct? Every movie in the last 5 years is presented in multitude of formats saying one of them is the "real" way to watch said film is stupid. The director I'm sure has mixed his or her film for each of them. So sorry if I don't agree with your statement that one is the "real" way to watch it and all others in inferior.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Maybe but this stuff is done for the average consumer not HT junkies...

Maybe so, but I think that the studios and electronics manufacturers could have marketed just the term "UHD" to the average consumer, but they didn't - they've been emphasizing the 4K part of the title.

Every movie in the last 5 years is presented in multitude of formats saying one of them is the "real" way to watch said film is stupid. The director I'm sure has mixed his or her film for each of them. So sorry if I don't agree with your statement that one is the "real" way to watch it and all others in inferior.

I don't ask that you agree with me so long as my posts are treated with courtesy and respect.

In this specific incidence, the film's writer/director, James Gunn, specifically said that IMAX 3D was the best way to experience this movie and commented that he had planned the 3D and the shifting aspect ratios during the screenwriting phase. That's not really my statement that the IMAX 3D version is the real version, that's the director saying it. Having seen the film that way, I can't imagine seeing it in another format - I would be aware of what was missing.

It's true that for some titles, there are multiple versions prepared. I'm an American Cinematographer subscriber and they often mention the different versions being prepared. One of the things that struck me from reading multiple articles over the years is that the filmmaker generally isn't equally hands on with all versions. They work on one version, and then generally just do a quick approval of the others. And some filmmakers have different feelings about this, where they feel only one version is the real version, and others feel that they're all variations on a theme.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
I don't ask that you agree with me so long as my posts are treated with courtesy and respect.
Sorry if I didn't...

Well you stated all marvel movies above, I have seen your repeated comments about this one movie. Personally, I'm happy you love 3D I liked it for awhile as well hence the reason I have 82 3D movies... However, I also believe and strive for the best picture possible and in my opinion that is UHD/HDR. Anyway I think we are way off topic of the real news which is Disney jumping on the 4K bandwagon and I hope they deliver all the marvel movies and Tron in 4K sooner then later. :)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Sorry if I didn't...

No, no, all good, I didn't mean that as a shot at you. Just trying to say that the purpose of me writing my opinion isn't to try to get you to abandon yours :) You had apologized for not being able to agree with me and I just wanted to be extra clear that 100% agreement wasn't my goal!

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I looked for news on this but could not find any-
Does anyone know if the Panasonic DMP-UB900 is going to support Dolby Vision through firmware update?

After a few weird glitches, This player has been quite amazing.
I actually want to order another for my living room, but only if a DV update is coming.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I looked for news on this but could not find any-
Does anyone know if the Panasonic DMP-UB900 is going to support Dolby Vision through firmware update?

After a few weird glitches, This player has been quite amazing.
I actually want to order another for my living room, but only if a DV update is coming.

Nope. Panasonic has stated that the UB900 will never support DV.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well, just to bump this thread back up since rumors are now flying heavy

D23 Expo is scheduled for July14-16.
There seems to be announcements coming next week from Disney either leading up to the convention or certainly at the Expo.

The biggest may finally be the not so well kept secret of the official announcement of Guardians 2 as the first UHD with several others likely following by the end of the year. Many retailers internationally already have 4K Preorder listings up on their sites.

There is nothing mentioning US 3D releases of any of these same titles that have 3D preorder in other countries.

Best guess for Guardians V2 release in Aug 22

Will Guardians 2 simultaneously be not only the first Disney 4K and 1st Marvel without a US 3D?
Will Cars 3 follow as the 1st New Pixar with UHD and no 3D?

Other likely or at least possible UHD releases in 2017
Pirates 5
Beauty and the Beast (2017)
SW:TFA and Rogue One

Not a UHD, but The Lion King Signature release and probably Lion King 1 1/2 and Simba's Pride Bluray seem to be coming up possibly as early as August 29.

Last edited:

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Well, just to bump this thread back up since rumors are now flying heavy

D23 Expo is scheduled for July14-16.
There seems to be announcements coming next week from Disney either leading up to the convention or certainly at the Expo.

The biggest may finally be the not so well kept secret of the official announcement of Guardians 2 as the first official UHD with several others likely following by the end of the year. Many retailers internationally already have several 4K Preorder listing up on their sites.
There is little if any confirmations of US 3D releases of many of these same titles.

Best guess for Guardians V2 release in Aug 22

Will Guardians 2 simultaneously be not only the first Disney 4K and 1st Marvel without a US 3D?
Will Cars 3 follow as the 1st New Pixar with UHD and no 3D?

Other likely or at least possible UHD releases in 2017
Pirates 5
Beauty and the Beast (2017)
SW:TFA and Rogue One

Not a UHD, but The Lion King Signature release and probably Lion King 1 1/2 and Simba's Pride Bluray seem to be coming up possibly as early as August 29.

I'd be surprised if Guardians of the Galaxy didn't get a 3D release on disc. I know Disney has been spotty at best with 3D in the states. But the 3D version of the film is very important to James Gunn. He said he was lobbying Disney hard to get them to release on UHD. I can't imagine that he would be okay with them not making the 3D version available as well.

Guess we'll find out soon. Fingers crossed for a Best Buy steel book with UHD and 3D combo.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I will be extremely disappointed if there's no 3D release. This is a film meant to be seen in 3D, one that Gunn has commented multiple times was planned for 3D with shifting aspect ratios as far back as the scripting stage. If it's not released on that format on disc, I won't be buying.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Just to be clear -- just like with Beauty and the Beast there are a dozen or more international 3D releases announced or already taking preorders.

It's just the US/Canadian release that are in question

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks

I'm also concerned about altering movies from the filmmaker's original vision simply for the sake of showing off the technical capabilities of new TV sets. There are lots of UHD discs coming out that have HDR on them, when the film wasn't released theatrically with HDR. Because Beauty And The Beast played in Dolby Vision and IMAX Laser, it did have a limited HDR release, but from what I understand, the HDR used at home is often different from what was used in theaters, so there's that concern, which I understand that many may not share.

And then, specifically in the case of Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2, this was intended to be a 3D film from the beginning, with director James Gunn commenting that the 3D effects were planned at the scripting stage. UHD is a format that only supports 2D. Since the writer/director has commented that 3D was even part of the screenwriting process, I consider it to be an essential part of the film's DNA, and have no interest in a version that is not in 3D.

I am not saying that UHD discs have no value, and I would be interested in future-proofing myself with UHD discs of titles that were released theatrically in 4K, 2D-only and with HDR. I am not as interested in UHD discs that can't replicate what was seen in theaters, and Guardians 2 would fall in that latter category for me.

...Josh, I couldn't have said it any better, just give me the 3D, even though it was an okay movie and not really needed.

Also, waiting for TERMINATOR 2 3D...Cameron gave that one to the best 3D conversion house in the world!!! :3dglasses:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I will be extremely disappointed if there's no 3D release. This is a film meant to be seen in 3D, one that Gunn has commented multiple times was planned for 3D with shifting aspect ratios as far back as the scripting stage. If it's not released on that format on disc, I won't be buying.
Ditto here. No sale without 3D, so I'll be going international.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks