What's new

is directv sending local hd via satellite? (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hey all -

has anyone (at least from the sacramento area) noticed that the directv guide now includes the local hd ota channels (3-001, 3-002, etc...)?

does that mean directv will finally be giving us the local hd stuff via their satellite feed ... or do we still have to use an external hd antenna and go the usual route?

thx!

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Isn't that why the just put up the new bird with MPEG 4 capability?

I think they have plans to do LiL HD nation wide. Not all at once, or course, but I think they had 20 markets already listed as being the 1st.

I am lucky that I can pull all but 1 of my local HD capable digital channels via antenna, so its not going to buy my anything when they finally get around to offerring HD LiL in Albuquerque.

But back to your observation, I wonder if you will need to get a new box. Everyting I have read thus far says that none of the existing boxes will do MPEG4.

BGL

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
that would be very cool...i hope they implement that soon as my ota hd reception isn't very reliable. definitely. check out my thread over at tivocommunity:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=240384

from what i've read, the new boxes will *not* be backwards compatible. that's why the hd-tivo box is down to $650.00. the real question is how will directv customer service handle the transition ... and what will they do for all the existing hd subscribers.

i'm also concerned about what they're going to use for the dvr service ... as it's not going to be tivo. :frowning:

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I am with you on the dread of a non-Tivo solution.

My family has had Tivo for 5 or 6 years, and we have 3 boxes. We love it, and no matter what D* offers, if it ain't a Tivo, we will be seriously considering our options.

I bit down hard when I dropped $1K for the HD box last September, but for me, it has been as close to a perfect solution as I could have imagined (well, OK, I wish they would speed up the GUI, but even that's not a show stopper).

As much as I hate to say it, we may end up back with cable if Tivo does the Comcast box they say they are going to do.

I have zero interest or need for any MC stuff. I like my Tivo just the way it is right now.

Well, since I live in a virtual Podunk (at least as far as D* is concerned!), I will probably be at the end of the line for the transition to the new boxes. Hopefully at that point D* will wise up and work something out with Tivo.

But given that Ruppert has his own DVR's, I guess that is not likely to happen.

BGL

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks