Is DirecTV HD-HBO worth it?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Abdul Jalib, Mar 18, 2001.

1. Abdul Jalib

Abdul Jalib Stunt Coordinator

I live in an area where I cannot receive any HDTV OTA. I have DirecTV service, including HBO, but with a circular dish. I have an HD-ready TV, so I could get HD-HBO by adding a HD DirecTV receiver and either another dish or an elliptical dish. Is it worth it?
    I guess that question needs a value scale. I'm trying to curb my home theater spending, so it would be a choice between one of the following toys for the next few months:
    * HD DirecTV receiver plus a dish
    * High quality center speaker (using RPTV's speakers now)
    * High quality subwoofer (using Kenwood HTB-503's now)
    * DirecTV TiVo (already have regular TiVo)
    * HTPC (already have DVDO iScan Pro)
    I'm nocturnal and in Nevada, BTW, so I could use some of the late night pay-per-view movies on DirecTV's demo channel.
    -Abdul

2. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

Well, it all depends on whether or not you can stand to have an HD ready set without taking advantage of its HD capabilities. When I first purchased mine, I had no intentions of getting HD yet. However, the need to take advantage of my sets capabilities quickly overtook me. HBO-HD is at times not the epitome of quality HD programming but it is HD nonetheless.
    Depending on what you find appealing about DirectTV, you could always switch over to Dishnetwork for a decent rebate on the HD equipment and also get Showtime in HD as well. Might be cheaper to go this route depending on how many receivers you currently have and would need to replace.
    C. Ryan
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

3. Abdul Jalib

Thanks. No matter what, I will be keeping DirecTV for NFL Sunday Ticket, and I don't have room for a satellite dish farm on my apartment balcony. I know the sensible thing to do is to wait and see if DirecTV comes through with another HD channel in the Fall, when they will launch another bird. But yes, having a set that is supposed to be capable of displaying nearly the full 1920x1080i resolution is burning a HD-hole in my pocket.
    -Abdul

4. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

My first thought would be to say forget about HD for the moment and get a cneter channel speaker. With only one dedicated HD channel available to you, it seems pretty rediculous to spend all that cash.
    But again, the need for HD can be very strong.
    C. Ryan
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

5. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer
    Supporter

I agree with C. Ryan that a center speaker would be the best place to spend money, based on the situation that you described. Using the internal TV speakers for your center channel is never a good idea, IMO. They are of very low quality and will not come close to timbre matching your main speakers.

6. mndavenport

mndavenport Auditioning

Fr me to see The Soprano's in widescren HDTV alone makes it worth it.

7. David Kraus

David Kraus Auditioning

I am in the same situation. I did not realize, however, that when I purchase the Direct TV HD dish from Mitsubishi I will only get HD on HBO? Does this mean that I won't see The Masters in HD and other HD programming on the major networks? Kindof confused here. If this is the case, what are my other options? I would switch to Dish network if it is better for HDTV or antena?
    David

8. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

David. I know nothing about your particular STB. HD Network TV is not being broadcast by DTV or DISH. You have to have an OTA antenna and a compatible STB to enjoy your local networks on HD. I assume your Mits. STB will do OTA reception. If you have not already done so, take a look at TitanTV.com to see what local affiliates are broadcasting HD in your area.
    C. Ryan
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

9. Abdul Jalib

To get the Masters in HDTV, you need CBS-HD. If you can't get it off the air, then the only way would be through an ExpressVu satellite, which is a Canadian company. You have to go through an address broker to trick them into giving you service. They carry CBS-HD Boston, though they sometimes switch to ABC or NBC for other HD programming. They also have a channel of mostly free HD movies (very few per month), with a few pay-per-views, which are difficult if not impossible to order from the U.S.
    Basically, the HD programming available is CBS's primetime shows, CBS's major sporting events, HBO (DirecTV or Dish), Showtime (Dish only), pay-per-view movies, and Jay Leno's chin. There isn't much more.
    -Abdul