What's new

Is DIANE LANE's Star Rising? (1 Viewer)

Martin Jeeves

Supporting Actor
Her new movie is gonna be the test: "Under The Tuscan Sun" http://us.imdb.com/Details?0328589

It's a Disney movie with no big name co-stars. If it opens then she's a bonafide "star" if it sinks without trace then I guess a "consistently working actress" will do just fine.

I just think, IMHO, that she is just as beautiful and talented as the bigger superstars i.e. Diaz, Jolie, Paltrow and even Roberts. It would be nice if she got more recognition, even though you guys have convinced me that she is at least nearly a "star" and not as "obscure" as I first thought. The girls done good.

Steve Clark

Second Unit
I would classify Diane Lane as a gorgeous and respected actress, but certainly not a star. IMO, she has just not had that one breakout part or movie to push her up to the top. And to get that breakout role or movie sometimes requires luck and timing. Sharon Stone, Julia Roberts, Melanie Griffith, Sigourney Weaver, Halle Berry all had breakout parts that Diane Lane has not had.

Martin Jeeves

Supporting Actor
I think "Unfaithful" could be that breakout role. I hope she wins some noms and awards for it. Great acting!

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
I would agree that Diane Lane is not obscure, but I definitely do not think she is on the A-list yet. Basically like Steve Clark said, she has been around long enough that she is a respected actress among her peers. Her role in Unfaithful - which I personally did not think that highly of - opened the door for some recognition. Before the hoopla for that performance I would consider her pretty much a character actor, probably on a level with actresses such as Mira Sorvino and Marisa Tomei. Not bad company, but not A-list.

Wayne W

Stunt Coordinator
I remember seeing "Six Pack" when I was a kid and having a crush on her. From that day I've known who she is. I think her career has been up and down, but she has always been a great actress. I hope she eventually gets the credit she deserves as well as the opportunity for better film roles.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
Some other actresses you may also like...Sally Field Those are some hotties! (winky smiley deleted)

not sure if you were kidding or not, but if you look at pictured of sally field when she was younger, she was quite tasty. not as hot as teri garr though, young frankenstein, hot damn!

CJ

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
not sure if you were kidding or not,
He was not only kidding, (admin note - personal attack deleted), implying that those women are old and haggy. I thought we were very polite to the kid.

I also think all those women are beautiful.

Hey Martin, still think Diane's "obscure?" You tried to convince us, but we knew better.

Martin Jeeves

Supporting Actor
Hey Martin, still think Diane's "obscure?" You tried to convince us, but we knew better
Sorry, Vicki_M, I do not understand what you mean by this. Please clarify.

I can't believe all the publicity all the other Best Actress nominees are getting and Diane Lane is'nt getting any. It doesn't seem fair that after 25 years, nearly 50 films, several big hits AND several awards AND an Academy Award nomination for Best Actress that this actress is so little known. I want her to be a big name - I think she deserves it when you look at some people out there who are no where near as talented and have made few films yet become stars because of who they are dating. Sorry....it sucks.

It seems that Diane Lane is a victim of having little scandal in her personal life. She seems destined to be a 'nearly' star.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I've seen and read more publicity about Diane Lane in the last month than I have in the last 10 years.

M.

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
I'm going to have to agree with Martin about one thing - I have not noticed Diane Lane being pushed too much for the Best Actress Oscar. Yes, she was on the SAG awards last night and I'm sure she had some exposure, but I really don't think the studio behind Unfaithful (forgive me for forgetting which one :)) has given her much of a campaign. Of course, with the movie not being in wide release - I think it was rereleased in a couple of theaters at least in the L.A. area - and it also being on dvd/video there really isn't much of an opportunity for them to get wide, mainstream publicity.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Well, I don't think Fox is going to outspend Miramax, the Weinsteins when it comes to pushing Chicago for their next Oscar award winning haul.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks