1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Is DD5.1 on HBO as good as DVDs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tim Kline, Sep 10, 2001.

1. Tim Kline

Tim Kline Stunt Coordinator

So since I've been noticing a lot of movie channels offering some movies in DD5.1, anyone know if the quality is as good as a DVD would be? My cable box won't support it but I'm about to switch companies (to RCN) and they say that the box has digital output and all, So I'm curious...
    ------------------
    Tim Kline
    HT Newbie Extraordinaire!
    [email protected]
    www.timkline.com
    My DVD List
    My Home Theatre

2. Jim Ferguson

Jim Ferguson Stunt Coordinator

It sounds pretty much like DVD DD to me. Discrete surrounds, LFE effects etc.

3. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

As far as I understand, satellite services broadcast their video in MPEG-2 format, which involves lossy compression (like DVD), but the networks are free to set the compression ratio. The more compression, the more pixelation you get in the picture. The same may be true with the Dolby Digital sound, though I don't know for sure.

4. Don O'Brien

Don O'Brien Stunt Coordinator

Shows up as 384 or 448K on my pre/pro, just like DVD. I have noticed no difference in sound quality.
    ------------------

5. Henry W

Henry W Stunt Coordinator

The cable I have is Adelphi (formerly Comcast) digital. The output is called advanced matrix stereo and plays like any of the DVDs I rent. In fact, I often rent some of the same DVDs I see on TV and the sound is pretty much the same. Braveheart even sounded better. I know its not Dolby Digital and I'm not sure what it is but it doesn't sound radically different.
    Best regards-Henry
    ------------------

6. Steven Simon

Steven Simon Producer

Steven Simon
    I got my High Def setup last week, and I have listened to a few broadcasts in 5.1 sound..... It sounds damn good.... The first real program I watched at length was Band Of Brothers in High Def, 5.1 sound.... The audio rivaled many of our demo quality dvd's...... Full high quality front soundstage, Center Channel Dialogue was crystal clear, and the 4 surround speakers were active as hell......
    Worth checking out!!!!
    ------------------
    Thanks,
    Steven R. Simon
    HTF Administrator
    Theater Pics Updated 9-11-2001
    Send Email: [email protected]

7. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

It's the same exact track, however the cable company may compress it more, and you may experience dropouts
    Jeff Kleist