What's new

Is DD EX worth $130 (1 Viewer)

Gary Joe

Stunt Coordinator
I got the closeout price of $500 for the HK AVR520 at J&R which is now enroute. I'm using it for 50/50 HT music but bought it before knowing anything about HT. Now I have learned that the majority of action movies are using DD EX
which the 520 won't decode. How big of a diff is there between DD and DD EX. Is it worth the extra money for the 525?

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
U have to experience it to "sell" urself DD EX or DTS ES. While others would say ur not missing much if at all, those that have it might swear by it. Me...I like it very much...but that's just me.

Rick_FL

Stunt Coordinator
it's only worth it if you got the room. I don't, so I didn't care. I've heard 6.1, it isn't as big a jump as 5.1 was.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Just out of curiousity, where did you find a 525 for $630?

My 2¢: It's definitely worth it. I've got the 520s little brother, the 320, which when mated with an external amp or receiver, enables Logic7 and DTS-ES.

First, ALL titles with regular DTS tracks matrix the rear channel in, although it's not too much of a difference. DTS-ES 6.1 Matrix and -ES 5.1 titles (T2:UE, 5.1; and Minority Report, 6.1 Matrix, for instance) send a matrixed rear signal, which is fairly obvious. DTS-ES 6.1 Discrete titles, like LOTR:EE, have an actual 6th channel encoded, which is amazing.

Even so, I'm thinking of upgrading to the 525 because of the added power, 7 amplified channels instead of 5, and the addition of DD-EX, which is only 5.1 matrixed, but equivalent to DTS-ES Matrix mode on 5.1 titles like T2:UE.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks