What's new

Is Dark Side of The Moon coming to SACD? (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Lee, anything is possible, but I have heard nothing about Dark Side of the Moon coming to SACD. It is slated for release on DVD-Audio on March 3, 2003. Of course, I will believe it when I see it. :D

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Aw man. Dark Side of the Moon on sacd would be an instant purchase for me. Sure wish SACD would go in that direction!

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I am glad to see it coming out on DVD-Audio. Hopefully they will include some really cool psychedelic graphics so that can have a real audio and video trip! :eek:

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
I am thinking maybe they should combine the DVD-A of DSODM with the DVD-V images of "Wizard of Oz" for the ultimate audio and video trip....

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
My cynical side says Sony didn't wave enough money at Pink Floyd to do DSoTM on SACD.
The non-cynical side thinks there are several reasons for DVD-Audio release.
I'll start with he name association with DVD-Video and the capability to include full motion video content with the disc.
There are some some stunning results of similar vintage materials (Neil Young Harvest, Yes Fragile, The Eagles Hotel California, The Doobie Brothers The Captain and Me) and you can understand why a DVD-Audio release is appealing.
Add to that the fact that DVD-A is focused more on multi-channel than SACD and you tip the scales towards DVD-A. I'm not saying SACD doesn't do multi-channel, but it is lagging for the time being on surround titles.
Given that PF embraced surround in the Quadrophonic era it's not surprising to me that they would make DSoTM a DVD-A release.
Regards,

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor
I may be wrong and maybe somebody can set me straight, but i'm under the assumption that if a album is released on DVD-A it's not going to be released on SACD and vice/versa.

Are there any dual releases of an album on both formats?

Paul

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Paul,

There are a few that have released in both.

One or two Telarc titles, one Chesky title, and Bryan Adams' Frantic come to mind off the top of my head.

Regards,

John Geelan

Screenwriter
Bryan Ferry's last release Frantic can be ordered in either format from Germany. I recently bought the SACD Multi-Ch disc.

I don't care which format they release DSOTM as long as its a Multi-Channel experience like my DTS disc.
If it's DVDA, so be it, I'm sure it will sound fine.

Micahel C

Stunt Coordinator
The following titles have been released in both formats.

Bucky Pizzarelli: Swing Live (Chesky)
Christy Baron: Steppin' (Chesky) (Europe)
Chuck Mangione:Everything For Love (Chesky) (Europe)
Bryan Ferry: Frantic (EMI/Virgin) (Europe)
Deep Purple: Deep Purple With the R.P.O./Concerto for Group & Orchestra (EMI/Virgin) (Europe)
Tchaikovsky: 1812 Overture/ Kunzel/ Cincinnati Pops Orchestra (Telarc)
Weather Report: Celebrating The Music Of Weather Report (Telarc)
Sonny Rollins:Way Out West (JVC/Victor) (Japan)
Art Pepper:Meet The Rhythm Section (JVC/Victor) (Japan)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
John Geelan said:
I don't care which format they release DSOTM as long as its a Multi-Channel experience like my DTS disc.
And which DTS disc would this be? :confused:
Micahel,
I was not aware that the Chuck Mangione, Art Pepper, and Sonny Rollins titles were available on DVD-Audio and SACD. I thought they were only available on SACD. Thanks for posting this information. I have Christy Baron Steppin' on both SACD and DVD-Audio, and both sound great. The DVD-Audio disc is pretty tough to track down. I was able to get it directly from Chesky, but I don't know if they still have it. When I placed the order, I was told that they had stopped producing the DVD-Audio disc in favor of the SACD.

Micahel C

Stunt Coordinator
Keith, Both the Chuck Mangione and Christy Baron DVD-A titles have long been available through Music Direct although I just checked their site and it looks like the Chuck Mangione title is Out Of Stock and they're down to their last copy of "Steppin'".

As for the Sonny Rollins and Art Pepper DVD-A titles, I'm not sure of their exact release dates but I've been aware of them for over a year now so they've been around for at least that long. Both are stereo only, 24/192 recordings.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Micahel, when I was shopping for the Steppin' DVD-Audio disc earlier this year, I had been told by some folks on Audio Asylum that no US dealers had it. At the time, www.hmv.co.jp had it. In any event, I simply called Chesky's 800 number, as they did not have it on their web site. It is not an easy disc to track down.
I have to wonder how those Art Pepper and Sonny Rollins DVD-Audio discs compare to the SACDs. Do any US dealers have the DVD-Audio discs?

Micahel C

Stunt Coordinator
Keith, I'm not aware of any US dealers that carry any of the Japanese DVD-A's which is a shame as there are some good titles.

Some time back there was an individual who listed several of them on ebay including the Sonny Rollins title. I bid on it and a couple of others but was outbid on all but one.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Micahel, thanks. :frowning: Unfortunately, I have seen this with SACD too. Some titles are not available in the US. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks