What's new

Is D-VHS still "alive"? (1 Viewer)

EricTownsend

Stunt Coordinator
I am considering adding the JVC HMDH5U D-VHS deck to my soon to be finished home theater. I know D-VHS hasn't taken the HT world by storm but are they still viable? Are movies still being made for them? I noticed some titles are going for ridiculous amounts online so I thought that may indicate the format is finished. I am really hoping that it only idicates limited production... I have heard the quality for HD viewing is really great. That is my only real HD source where I live. My Dish only gets a few mundane HD channels and my cable company's HD is over compressed, and lastly, I am in the wrong geographic area to get Voom....
I can get the HMDH5U from Onecall for $450.
Thanks!

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
I think very much so. I want to jump into it and will soon. I am convinced that this medium by far is not a dying or antiquated medium. Even with the fact that HD on DVD is coming very very soon, the fight between HD-DVD and Blu-Ray may prove to be a long one and D-VHS is the only outlet that don't have this problem. I say go for it and get some of those D-Theater tapes and keep us informed, I know I would want to know what you think. I saw U-571 on D-Theater and I'm just waiting for the right opportunity financially.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I personally would and am waiting for HD-DVD. Tapes are indeed antiquated, and are prone to the same shortcomings as regular VHS. I think it's merely a question of patience. But it's your money and decision.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
They are no longer releasing titles, AFAIK, and yes quite a few titles were produced in very small quantities, so they fetch quite a deal online. Not saying it's not worth it in the meantime to have some HD material, but it's not a format that has a future, or really ever did.

Dick Boneske

Stunt Coordinator
I have a JVC DVHS deck--the DH HM30000U. Playback of HD prerecorded tapes is spectacular--noticeably better than DVD's and on a par with broadcast HD programs. DVHS movies are often on ebay for $20-$30 each. That's the ONLY prerecorded HD programming you can buy today. I don't think anyone on this board believes HD DVD's will be priced like present DVD's. As with every other new format, the players will start out at a high price, also.

The problem with my DVHS is HD can only be recorded via Firewire (1394EEE) connection. No Direct TV receivers and only one set-top box (Samsung) have Firewire. There is a guy that will add Firewire to Direct TV receivers for about $400.

The model you mention will record HD off the antenna input OR via Firewire. For the price, it is a bargain. Note that it can also record from a camcorder with Firewire (most Sonys and others) with no loss of quality.

Even though it may be dead technology, the ability to record HD and camcorder programs will last as long as the deck. You probably want a VHS deck in your system, anyhow. Why not use a good one??

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member

I fully agree with that. Eventhough I bought the JVC 7600 years ago I still love it, but a D-VHS would retire the 7600 to the upstairs set up. I believe the D-VHS decks has DNR/TBC, the ability to record OTA HD material I think is a great plus and of course the pre-recorded D-Theater tapes. Yes, tape I guess is antiquated but I put it in the same place as analog sound or video, it's going to be around for a long while, why not have the best.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
I was considering buying one of these, as HDNET has been showing hundreds of classics in HD. After looking at KIND AND I, AUNTIE MAME and so many others, it sometimes makes me sad to have to watch the dvd's, there is no comparison. Unfortunately, Time/Warner's cable boxes are exactly the same as they show them online at the Scientific Atlanta web site (makers of their boxes) EXCEPT they have deleted the firewire output, which is the only way to tape HD. I am surprised JVC or the other DVHS makers didn't somehow add a component input for taping, I am assuming this is all because of the movie studios demands. So I have no real purpose at this time for a DVHS recorder. As for the movies released by the studios, sadly, 95% of them are current to near-current films, and I am a classic lover. Hard to believe of all Fox's DVHS releases, not even THE SOUND OF MUSIC is available.

Jim Douglas

Second Unit
I bought a 5U about a month ago from Vann's and have it hooked to my Motorola 6200 via firewire. I've been recording HBO-HD and SHO-HD and some concerts off of PBS-HD. So far I'm loving it. I'm using Fuji S-VHS Pro tapes forced into the DVHS mode and they have been working great and look great.
So far I'm gald I went for it.

Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks